What apps do you need on Haiku?

There are GUI-less useful windows programs too, but without GUI-support it would have less use. (But it is possible to build GUI-less WINE)
A native ui support would be preferable, but again, first one have to fight his way trough the supporting code, only then could we think about GUI.
I dont expect more than ideas and help trough irc and their mailing list.
And why would let them conquer an unexplored land? Just because the first chop is hard?

the things that I have done for haiku are for these people, these are
not listed here because they need a user, password, profile, etc etc, when
they only want to listen to mp3 music from their computer …

Look, everyone here has broadband internet connection, but that does not mean
that everyone has them … more than half of the world does not have
Internet and much less broadband, in addition to this, more than half of
the world does not own a computer “modern” (not to say poetente or disgustingly powerful)

haiku is an exit that I found the indecent necessity of “upgrades” and
the fever of “dependencies” that linux suffers now, making it look like
windos

it is also an exit to the horrendous look of freebsd desktops flavors, respect to the end user …

However, I have noticed that they have millenniums releasing something out
… I notice that developers or collaborators like me do much more than
those who develop the OS itself

I understand that stability is important, but …men! … taking
something … one of my recommendation is not to concentrate on new equipment
… it takes much longer to make haiku work on something that still has
no technical details. .

2 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Haiku features I’d like to see

A post was split to a new topic: Haiku features I’d like to see

There is no real such thing as a “UNIX syscall.” WINE runs natively on FreeBSD without their Linux syscall compatibility layer.

No it is not. WINE for macOS uses a Quartz UI backend, not the X backend, so adding a Haiku backend is entirely possible.

1 Like

Hmm, if Wine’s backend is independent of X, then why were/are the Wine devs having a hard time decoupling X-reliant libraries to make it work under Wayland?

Does the POSIX compatibilty of Haiku give enough for software like Wine to work? After all, isn’t Haiku not a Unix-like or use the Unix system model? That’s what piqued my interest with Haiku. Despite not having something similar to Windows NT’s “personalities” (see WSL), it could still be POSIX compatible.

They aren’t. The issue is that X11 is less “abstract” than Wayland and provides a number of window management related functions that Wayland does not have, and WINE / Win32 API depends on these in a variety of ways. macOS, being a full desktop environment, has these; and of course Haiku does also.

Yes.

No, it is very much a UNIX-like. Our POSIX compatibility is not through a “compatibility layer” but native to the OS itself. Our fork()-based process model, permissions controls, /dev, etc. are all POSIX constructs that are part of the fabric of the OS itself.

Aren’t UNICES and Unix-likes multi-user systems? Isn’t that a core feature of UNIX? Speaking of which, is multi-user support in Haiku still planned for beyond R1 or could it arrive earlier?

P.S. Maybe we should move this discussion somewhere else. Don’t wanna risk mods being irritated again. :grin:

We already have POSIX multiuser, i.e. chown, useradd, su, etc. The GUI just always runs as root.

1 Like

And unix is moving away from this old multiuser model, the latest spec keeps the syscalls but removed any trace of the userland tools to access them.

Huh? As far as I can see, chown and friends are still in POSIX-2017.

1 Like

Hi,

The three packages I would most like see added to Haiku are Chromium, SageMath, and TexLive.

Thanks!

Chromium will not be here for a long time, if ever. TexLive there used to be a package for, I don’t know if there still is or not? And I don’t know about SageMath, but from what little I know about it it shouldn’t be too hard to port.

Thank you. If Chromium isn’t in the cards, what about Firefox? If TexLive is out there, I haven’t found it.

None. For chromium, you would have to have the backend v8 engine, plus the gui parts (at least).

For firefox, you need gtk3 compiled and working as a window, which is not done yet. Plus have all its dependencies.

Hard to do, may not worth the time.

I would like a vector graphics editor like Inkscape and a port of the GnuCOBOL compiler.

1 Like

Try wonderbrush

Is it an x86 only application? I can’t seem to find it in the x86_64 repository.

Yes i think so. The new WonderBrush is at work.

Just checked for inkscape to see how hard would be to port it, using the experimental gtk3 web-interface. Too many dependencies on the gnome system, too many libs to port just to see if it works.

Soo i would wait for wonderbrush and so like @lelldorin said.