We're in Google of Summer Code!

We have made it to the Summer of Code after alll these years of not being chosen!:grinning: This is a really big deal and means big tasks for Haiku will be completed, make sure to welcome these people, we will have a lot to owe to them for the tasks they will do!

4 Likes

Cool! Here’s the link: https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/6514892937887744/

1 Like

Great to hear! Does this mean code will be submitted by students?

Yes. Depending on the project, I expect some of our 7 students will work in their own fork/branch and merge that into trunk after discussion with their mentors. Those merges should come as several smaller packages instead of one massive merge at the end to ease code review for people outside the mentor pool.

Coding phase starts on May 30th. Let’s hope for exciting progress! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thought Haiku had been in Summer of Code every year. Isn’t that what the whole student/mentor thing is?

There are two programs from Google:

The summer of code targets university students and runs during the northern hemisphere summer. We were not part of it in 2014 and 2015 (they can’t accept all organizations who apply, so they try to accept different ones each year).

The Google Code-In, started in 2010, runs during the southern hemisphere summer. It target 13-17 years old, so there are a few differences:

• Students don’t get paid as contractors, instead this is more like a contest where the winners get to visit Google headquarters and the city of San Francisco.
  • The tasks to complete are much smaller (usually 3 to 5 days of work maximum), and the students can complete many of them. In fact, only the 10 students who completed the most tasks can be selected as winners.

We have participated into the GCI since its initial run in 2010. Since the tasks are short, each organization can handle a lot more students, and in the first run there were only 8 organizations participating. This number is slowly growing, and this year they had 14 if I remember correctly. This means we get to handle hundred of students making their first contributions to open source projects.

In general, GCI is not really effective in terms of getting contributions to Haiku: the efforts the mentors need to put in is much higher than what would be needed for them to complete the tasks themselves. So it is more of a contribution to the open source ecosystem as a whole, lettign the students know about it and later become contributors to Haiku or other projects.

The Google Summer of Code targets more skilled students, with more ambitious project ideas. When it works well, the outcome is useful code for Haiku and the possibility to immediately get new contributors (myself being one of them, for example).

1 Like

Sounds great.

…and we’re in for 2018 as well: https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations

13 Likes

Hello Everyone!
From recent times, I have started contributing to Haiku as a part of my own interest. I am very happy to see that Haiku is again selected as an organization for the GSoC’18. :grinning:
I will now aim to get into GSoC’18 with Haiku and I will give my best effort. I will contribute regularly to Haiku and I am looking ahead for a great summer. Good Luck to the other aspirants. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Welcome! Your efforts will be appreciate! Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like