We should make a wiki

Jello we should make a wiki for all info are outside of this page

1 Like

Ok do it!

there is a linklist on this site.

I think the Web app called bookstack would be perfect for us and would remove a lot of the complexity of this main website (drupal).

https://www.bookstackapp.com

The other possibility is using a project intranet tool like Atlassian Confluence etc.

Sorry to re-open this so late but I think this is a really good idea… Can it be done?

@lelldorin What’s the linklist?

dwt 8min
Sorry to re-open this so late but I think this is a really good idea… Can it be done?

@lelldorin What’s the linklist?

1 Like

Thank you!

I see that Confluence has an open source licence the Haiku project can use here: https://www.atlassian.com/software/views/open-source-license-request

Does anyone on the Haiku core team want to request an instance? Or I don’t mind doing it if the Haiku core team do not mind?

1 Like

When we (2004) created the besly knowledge base, we had also thought about a wiki site but we decided against it, since you have to constantly control what others in it must write and control everything everything there is synonymous works.

Therefore, I would be against it.

Personally, I would be very glad if more tutorials would be written by others for the BeSly instead of starting again a new page which maybe disappears after a short time (with all data).

1 Like

At this point, since the main website is on GitHub, it’s pretty easy for anyone to propose changes to it. Not quite a wiki, but much closer than what we had before…

I have no problem on configuring a Cloud version of Confluence if we wish to go that route, and I am happy to work with Atlassian to get an open-source licence for us. What do you think? Worthwhile?

Please, don’ do that.

As waddlesplash wrote, the whole Haiku Website are on Github, create a “pull request” there with your changes.

Don’t worry, I won’t do that.

Let us gauge how many people decide to contribute using the GitHub feedback loop.

Dave

The advantage of a wiki is that the hurdle to contribute is much lower than creating PRs at github. A community driven wiki can also broaden its scope, if wanted, and include topics that may not quite fit in the Haiku main website.

And let’s face it, there will always be some thing either missing or deemed not to be the Haiku project’s “core business”.

If the community can create and maintain such a wiki, I think it’d be a good idea. It’ll also serve as triage for information, e.g. extract knowledge from the many forum posts, IRC conversations, mailing lists posts etc. What’s deemed most important can flow back into guides etc. of the Haiku website.

github PRs are the best anti-spam we can get. Have you ever seen spambots trying to add links to their stuff in a pull request?
I would certainly not turn the main website more into a wiki than it already is. In many open source projects, I often find wikis to be slightly unreliable, with lots of contradicting informations, and sometimes out of date.

A recent example of this happened to me with Wireshark. A page on capturing the loopback interface, a single page, says:

1. It doesn’t work and it is not possible to do it
  2. It is possible, but you need some experimental software that has no binary releases yet

And it turns out, said software has actually been released some years ago and is perfectly supported.

So, a wiki is also a lot of work to keep up to date and accurate. I would even lean towards forcing a review of all changes before we accept them. Which is why the PR model sounds fine.

Just think about the information on haikuporter, supposedly in the github wiki. What do we point people to? “gentle introduction to haikuporter” (website) and “using haikuporter to build packages” (website). That is rather telling something about our use of wikis.

+1 I agree completely

There are good examples of it working though… you’d be familiar with cpcwiki.eu, for example.

You are pointing out to one major issues with a wiki - its maintenance by a team of editors to ensure the accuracy and consistency of the information present. Given the underlying technical nature of the subject, such editing would have to be perform by the core Haiku developers who are already committed to developing/improving its code.

Also, a wiki entry for a topic is more than a small blip of text with link(s) to reference(s). Good wiki entries provide the glue to related topics one should be aware to fully grasp the content.

On the long term, and with a larger community, a well designed and taken core wiki could be a tremendous resource for newcomers.

As it was already mentionned, help is very welcome in updating the existing website, which has a lot of information but not very well structured, and also sometimes out of date.
Even if you are not up to speed with git, just open tickets at the website’s github page with your suggested changes.
I think this should be enough for a start.

I am happy being a moderator to any Confluence wiki. It’s pretty much what I do during my day job anyway.

Shall we spend a month or so with it online and see if anyone uses it? I’m happy to create some initial pages as well.

Confluence, Confluence, Confluence… So do it and we’ll see.