VideoStreams: Media Kit-like 3D hardware acceleration kit for Haiku

I prefer yellow window borders, a much cheaper way to get active window status. Much cheaper.

I reckon, with the current Haiku look, window shadows would REALLY look out of place.

7 Likes

A question arises spontaneously, since there are opengl accelerated via cpu via llvmpipe and vulkan accelerated via cpu via lavapipe, this modification of the media-kit accelerated via 3D, would bring real advantages despite not having dedicated gpu (driver)?
(obviously on the latest generation cpu with many cores I assume that it is affirmative)

1 Like

We already use llvmpipe as openGL provider

yes, I suspected that this was already the case, my question was more than anything else if there could be any real advantages to using opengl via cpu in this context

I uploaded patch that allows to create BBitmap with custom area_id. It would help to share bitmaps between processes in Webkit2.

https://review.haiku-os.org/c/haiku/+/4369

12 Likes

I tried to setup double buffering with intel_extreme and something went wrong. It is supposed to show only upper part of framebuffer, not shrink it twice vertically. Fixing intel_extreme driver may be also needed.

CIMG4739_1

14 Likes

ScreenConsumer based on BWindowScreen is working with ati driver on QEMU. Double buffering and buffer swapping is used. It display animation with flying black rectangle on “∞”-shape trajectory. Minimal functional dirty region management is implemented, only changed parts are repainted. #17261 need to be fixed to run on real hardware.

screenshot19

24 Likes

I know it is very early but, how will handle the igp and dgpu on the laptops i have curiosity about this, i suposse it will go over igp by default.

But this media kit will consider more than a graphic processor? Thanks for all your work.

Yeah! B_MOVE_DISPLAY is working with radeon_hd and my patch. Tested on RISC-V board.

ScreenConsumer should start work after proper implementing clone accelerant.

CIMG4740_1

25 Likes

Nice one :slight_smile: Enjoying following along with this one!

2 Likes

I managed to make AccelerantConsumer work with intel_extreme driver. Buffer swapping is working (can be confirmed by flashing cursor).

29 Likes

Also works with radeon_hd and RISC-V.

18 Likes

so, exactly what was gained ? I’m not sure I understand what you’ve done here

Beginning of accelerated desktop… I think?

5 Likes

Initial version of compositor is working:

screenshot104

29 Likes

When implementing protocol, I experienced deadlock problem when 2 connected nodes are handled in the same thread. Synchronous message sending to BHandler in the same thread locks forever. I made some workaround;

static status_t SendMessageSync(
	BHandler* src, const BMessenger &dst, BMessage* message, BMessage* reply,
	bigtime_t deliveryTimeout = B_INFINITE_TIMEOUT, bigtime_t replyTimeout = B_INFINITE_TIMEOUT
)
{
	if (dst.IsTargetLocal()) {
		BLooper* dstLooper;
		BHandler* dstHandler = dst.Target(&dstLooper);
		if (src->Looper() == dstLooper) {
			// !!! can't get reply
			dstHandler->MessageReceived(message);
			return B_OK;
		}
	}
	return dst.SendMessage(message, reply, deliveryTimeout, replyTimeout);
}
7 Likes

Compositor with multiple VideoProducer clients is working.

33 Likes

I implemented compositor protocol and now clients from separate processes can be connected and disconnected.

28 Likes

very well done,would you consider a bounty or contract to work on 3d drivers ?

3 Likes

Donates are accepted here, it can speed up development.

About bounties: it should be asked to Haiku inc., not me, I am not official Haiku development team member and I have no decision power. I also have full time job and I am not sure if it can be combined.