Update packages Haiku userguide

Then we are impatiently waiting for your patch!

If you tell me that I can do that, I have no problem with that. Prerequisite I do not have to learn cpp first

You are the one saying it is “so easy”. Maybe it is not and that is why we have not gotten to it yet?
As mentionned, this needs:

• Adding the “optional packages” filter in Installer, with the list of packages that are indeed optional and can be removed, and the filtering of unchecked packages when copying files
  • Making Installer de-select by default the packages for languages other than the active one

So it needs some time to get this all working. If it was “so easy” and done in 5 minutes we would have done it years ago already.

2 Likes

I never say that it should be a option. I telling of auto detecting the selected system language starting the installer (the user do this today, so we should have this information already).

Selecting the language by the user - installing this userguide - instead of the package with ‘all’ userguides

I hate install lists like in linux hhere i need to set many markers to packages who need to install or not. Installing the main system and the rest using haikudepot is a good way i my thinking.

I never say it is no work, but of logical thinking not the hardest work if you are an expierience haiku developer.

If the user wants to install a other one later, je can do it using haikudepot.

If this is to complicated, because not the way my locical thinking see it, then sorry for this idea.

Again i am talking of the userguide not the language of the system.

I know you all do much and good work on haiku. I love it and use it. I never want to make your work bad. And i am so long in the community here, that people should know that i ever try to help .

If I understand correctly, all the documents are in one package.

One solution to what Lelldorin says could be to split the package into several.
Based on the selected language the corresponding package will be installed, along with the standard package english.

No, there is a separate package for each language of the user guide already.

according to the “sane defaults policy” this would be the best course of action

We already know what the course of action is. There is no need to go on about how simple it is and all that. Someone has to sit down and write the code to make this happen.

No matter if the checkboxes are visible or not, if the Installer guesses on its own what should be installed or if the users tells it. The main part of the work is the logic in Installer to skip the files. Once that is done, we can have both the checkboxes and the automatic initial selection of packages.

3 Likes