Uh oh, Ubuntu leapfroged Haiku in boot time

It looks like Ubuntu boots in 5 seconds on an SSD. Haiku Alpha R1 takes 7, arguably 8 seconds on my SSD. Looks like we’ve lost a bragging point until Haiku is optimized. (Or perhaps my SSD’s performance is significantly less than the Ubuntu developer’s SSD, which is very possible although they should still be similar.)

That’s great for Ubuntu, and really impressive considering some of the difficulty involved in making Linux boot fast. I strongly suspect that Haiku would boot similarly fast on an SSD like that used by Jorge Castro. In fact it makes me want to get one of those for my Haiku box :slight_smile:

Another factor is that if Haiku implemented similar technologies such as sreadahead and the Upstart boot daemon (or launchd from Apple) it would probably boot faster too. Though it is debatable how much those would improve Haiku’s boot speed, as there are never any guarantees that what works for one OS will work as well for another.

Of course most of we Haiku developers want Haiku’s boot speed and performance to be as good as possible, so there may no doubt be improvements in these areas as we move toward R1. Considering that Haiku is a very early alpha and Ubuntu has been out for many years I think we are doing OK.

The real upcoming challenge from a giant contender is Moblin’s 2 second boot time plan by Intel: may this be a positive drive for Haiku:

http://www.osnews.com/story/21286/Intel_Aims_for_2_Second_Boot_Time_with_Moblin_Linux_Platform/

Eh, who cares… anything in the ~10 second range is already suitable for most users.

When I turn on my netbook, I have bootman setup to default boot into Haiku. That way if I forget to select another option (such as Windows XP or Linux), at least I only have to wait ~12 seconds before shutting down and rebooting again. With Linux (eeeBuntu) or Windows XP, we’re talking about a minute and a half…

Actually, the POST takes longer than Haiku boot already!

uhh… make it possible to load haiku as a coreboot payload :slight_smile:

This is 2009. I want a pc where you turn on and boom, it’s there. That’s what a “home computer” should be like.

Boot time seems to be whatever users will tolerate. Thirty seconds of boot time gives the computer time to read about 2 GB of data and do 120 billion calculations, which is just staggering. Hopefully this move by Ubuntu will change expectations. Windows 7 should help as well, on my computer it’s 10 seconds until login (although Windows loads quite a bit after login). All-in-all, Haiku does pretty well, especially since it lacks SSD optimizations like those two OSes. If it’s like the BeOS I should even be able to cut that a bit by simply removing unneeded drivers…

Yeah you could probably speed up Haiku’s boot time by removing unneeded drivers, and maybe even turning off services you don’t need (like the cddb_daemon if you never plan on playing CDs…likely on a netbook with no optical drive.) Of course this may only shave off a second or so, who knows. It might be worth trying, and I’m sure someone could put together a “BootTweak” app that could help with this.

I was impressed by a video about QNX fast booting where they had essentially an instant boot by bypassing the slow BIOS. This may be a definite area for Haiku to explore, especially for any machines built specifically for Haiku (which I hope we have some day.)

Of course we can also get the most bang for the buck by just implementing and experimenting with the various technologies for fast boot used in Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.

Boot time is one thing, but runtime is another whole different ball game where I doubt Linux (Moblin, Ubuntu, *nix, etc.) will ever be able to catch Haiku, due to the OS design :wink: