PE optional header: (present)
  magic: 10B
  majorOperatingSystemVersion: 6
  minorOperatingSystemVersion: 0
  majorImageVersion: 0
  minorImageVersion: 0
  majorSubsystemVersion: 6
  minorSubsystemVersion: 0

This are recommended values is PE specification (PE Format - Win32 apps | Microsoft Learn).

Also note that align of each section is 1, this align is only used in object files, it is not used in executable files. Alignment from optional header is used for all sections (segments in ELF terminology).

Sections in PE are different from ELF sections, it matches to LOAD entries of program header in ELF.

Invalid ARM haiku_loader.efi produced by current master for comparison:

Issues:

• Wrong alignment.
  • No relocation directory. Relocation directory should have non 0 address and at least 1 entry.
  • Zero image base.

At least the first two should be fixed by incorporating the changes from FreeBSD (that I linked earlier) to our .S hack. On the IRC channel we’ve been discussing the use of an “elf2efi” tool which may be more reliable than doing things manually in a .S.

Interesting, it seems to generate proper PE modules, I try to use it for ARM haiku_loader.efi.

There are many elf2efi tools:

1. https://github.com/joyent/ipxe/blob/master/src/util/elf2efi.c
  2. https://github.com/efidroid/modules_elf2efi

First produce “Unsupported” modules, second can produce working modules, but it is not compatible with lld and have same problem as in #15819.

btw, interesting, but empty base relocation directory and missing the corresponding .reloc section not necessarily means error. there are cases, where there is nothing to relocate. :slight_smile: that’s relevant for architectures tending to do pc-relative addressing with big offsets available or just small images doing almost nothing. I just checked this by compiling a tiny “os loader” for x64 and aarch32 (same flags, specifying no relocations stripping - /FIXED:NO for msvc/link), a “hello world” C code, plus printing the address of the entry function (taken directly through its pointer). in the x64, there is no .reloc and the base relocation directory is empty, whereas on aarch32 they are present. but, of course in both cases images got loaded NOT where their image base wanted. (it’s because UEFI uses just 1, identity mapped to the system space, address space and so it can’t guarantee availability of an address A at any given time to any of its applications; plus variety of RAM mappings (and its sizes esp. for VMs)). anyway, for 32 bit ARM, relocations seem to be needed from the beginning, so that image most probably is really broken.

1 Like

Neither work really that well from my early testing. I extracted elf2efi this afternoon. It has quite a few requirements (static elf vs current shared, lots of sections it can’t understand)

Until we support native clang, fixing the gnu-efi hacks is likely going to be easier in the short-term

1 Like

I look for a code Haiku and the methods are exists but code it’s not complete.

I fixed the relocation issue but I can’t test it in QEMU here due to the hard-float everywhere. We should really fix multilib support…

1 Like

I compiled UEFI loader with -mfpu=none and runtime libraries from LLVM.

hi,

Where a find a binares of package of this files:

Building Haiku Minimum Target
AddHaikuImagePackages: package openssl not available!
AddHaikuImagePackages: package bash not available!
AddHaikuImagePackages: package bc not available!
AddHaikuImagePackages: package coreutils not available!
AddHaikuImagePackages: package curl not available!
AddHaikuImagePackages: package freetype not available!
AddHaikuImagePackages: package icu not available!
AddHaikuImagePackages: package libsolv not available!
AddHaikuImagePackages: package zlib not available!
AddHaikuImagePackages: package zstd not available!
AddHaikuImagePackages: package gcc_syslibs not available!

???

You have to do a bootstrap build where these will be built from source, until we get the toolchain stable enough that we are confident providing binary packages that won’t change every other day.

I wish a ready solution, I don’t want to learn how to compile hkpk for arm

There are no ready solution for ARM yet.

1 Like

Good day,

Amazed! Geniuses!. I would like to check that “no ready solution” on Pinephone´s aarch64, if possible. I´ll be watching this topic with great interest.

Thanks!
Regards,
RR

At most you will get Haiku boot loader menu and Haiku boot splash with gray icons. Kernel initialization is not yet working. It will also need hardware keyboard to work.