Third party applications. What are you working on?

Hi Zenja, No worries, i just wanted to avoid you the same unpleasant surprise i had when i finished porting an app i was working on for several days and then found out that the damn mic didn’t work and it took me a while to figure it out.

Ah @extrowerk, I didn’t realize there are special branches for Haiku.

It looks promising and I glad to see both stable 1.3 and development 1.4 branches there. Unfortunately, I faced my old problem: any non-trivial compilation (with configure and make) leads to restart of the computer. I will open another topic about this. Unfortunately, my 8 years old laptop also stopped working. So I will try using Haiku in a virtual machine to see what can be done. I can’t wait to see my baby on Haiku :smiley:.

I would say open a ticket at dev.haiku-os.org instead.

This is a known problem, with open tickets:

https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/10279 (random binary crashes, generally while compiling or doing other port work).

Comment 19 (@kallisti5): “Interesting side note, it seems like only things run from the command line crash… i’ve never seen webpositive or any other applications crash in this way that aren’t command line spawned.”

Comment 44 (@SeanCollins): "Replying to kallisti5:
AMD bulldozer here. 8 cores, 16 GB ram.

Same here, and if it means anything, I find this bug far far harder to induce on Intel hardware. I wonder if there is a memory controller or cache difference that could explain this behavoir ? Thinking back, I never saw this issue as much on the phenomII hardware, as soon as I upgraded to 8350 I started having trouble."

https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/14082 (PAE paging leads to random reboots/freezing using AMD-FX 6300 6-core processor).

Comment 27 (nzimmermann): “I already disabled all USB busses, the HDA driver, radeon_hd, etc. doesn’t help. Also the 4GB RAM limit doesn’t help (whereas on x86-gcc2, this allows me to have a stable system). Disabling SMP helps in both cases to get a stable system.”

I have AMD Phenom II x4 955 with 12GB RAM. I will try to disable SMP as suggested by nzimmermann.

Just tried to disable SMP, and it works! At least I can build something in Haiku :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, all haiku-* branches of FLTK failed to compile. For now, I didn’t dound a simple solution / work-around.

Current work:
Koder: (MIT)

Planned:
Create non-IDE out of Paladin:

The idea is to leverage BeAPI’s scripting support to create a set of protocols for communication between project manager/editor/debugger/etc.

Want to work on:
Twitch client, torrent client, flash cards app

7 Likes

We can have “want to work on” lists too?

• dropbox and/or google drive filesystem
  • Finishing and upstreaming the IUP/CD/IM ports, to allow writing portable UI apps (sometimes I don’t want to restrict my apps to Haiku users)

Paradoxon, I’ve sent you a ticket in Github asking for localisation support. If you are interested, I can also make a Spanish language translation catkeys.

Thanks… But actually i am not devloping at the moment… i tried to iron out some bugs from projectcocneptor some month agou… but i just dont have the time to do so. that why i cant promise anything… but i will look into it if it on some miracle way find some free time.

I’ve been working on a Issue replicant for Haiku. It shows your repositories, and displays the issues for that repository.

It uses the Version 4 of the Github API (GraphQL)

• I had to write my own MultiLineTextDrawer (It supports word wrapping, but the bounding box isn’t 100% accurate). BTextView is just a huge overhead for displaying wrapped text in a ListItem.

• Your API token is saved as flattened BMessage now, I will use keystore soon, for security reasons.

• Double click on the repository to show issues

• Double click on the Issues to launch a default browser and visit that issue.

Its very early Alpha even. Use it at your own risk.

The Source is open source and can be found here:

5 Likes

Is the keystore already using some form of secure storage? Or is it still storing passwords as plaintext?
Better to have things stored there in any case, but maybe we should make sure it’s really safe and secure.

2 Likes

I though it was secure. KeyStore in OS X is encrypted. Maybe I shouldn’t jump to conclusions yet when it comes to Haiku.

Nice work!
But we definetely need a new LibreOffice icon.

Just checked the code, essentially it’s writing to a flattened buffer. There’s actually a todo right where the encrypting part should be. For that, I saw there was a Crypto Kit in the gerrit review. That could help with implementing encryption in the Keystore.

Yes, except the Crypto Kit has only hashing functions so far (that’s the easy part in crypto :slight_smile: ). We need to add ciphering functions and allow securing the keystore with something (a password/passphrase, probably?)

2 Likes

Good Day @extrowerk,

Regarding the LibreOffice Icon, how about this?:

LibreOfficeHaikuIcon

Regards,
RR

10 Likes

And, how about this one for Godot?

GodotEngineHaikuIcon

Regards,
RR

3 Likes

Much better! Can you make a pr?

I really like this! :slight_smile:

Please use the original one, the original godot logo are super cool itself.