Theme suggestions

Hello everyone,

I’ve been around for quite a while in order to help improving Haiku in some manner but I didn’t have enough time to contribute even I think I’ve got some ideas about GUI design.

Anyway, today I could finish something I started months ago on mspaint (yes you’re reading right) with rendering speed in mind and no shiny look (which hurts my eyes and bring me headache), so I decided then to use only lines and plain colors for the window.

I got it finished with photoshop (sorry) but added some gradients/transparent pixels here and there just to see how it would look. I think that this theme would still be rendered in about four cpu cycles even with a Pentium I 75Mhz (the one labeled “humor inside”) and 8MB of RAM .

Here are some of the ideas that can make the theme/Haiku identity :

• The focused window is the one with shadow
  • The shadow has no blurry border so it renders fast even with non-optimized graphic drivers.
  • The shadow’s transparency can be set to 0 (none) or 100% (completely black shadow)
  • The virtual desktops have slightly different backgrounds (that’s what I usually do)
  • I changed the default leaf because it can be mistaken to be a “feather”
  • of course the scrollbars are disabled

here is the background with different shade of blue, the maple leaf is “supposed” to mimic the 3D perspective of Be icons (the ones that can’t say how much they have been stolen).

So I’m waiting for any comment or suggestion

I think the one on the current build is just fine (minus the triangular tabs)

I like the different colors on the vd’s and the gradient on the buttons, very nice. Also almost forget to mention that I love the vd’s integrated in the tracker on the right… I used BeOS back before the Y2K, always liked it, and from the looks of Haiku now, I’m going to dl it later this week and install it under VB for a little testdrive.

Cheers,
Michael

• I changed the default leaf because it can be mistaken to be a “feather”

oh good, I’m not the only one who thought that. Never saw a blue leaf before.

I like the way it’s all flat and not intending to look 3d.

Hello again,

I’ve been playing with photoshop to see how OS widgets would look with this theme.

There is also some things I found interesting to mention:

• Buttons sould have some 3D-ish look for usability concern
  • scrollbar buttons can be just hidden if the scrolling is disabled, I found it “more usable”, “easier”, and “efforless to some brains”
  • Some gradients here and there …

I love how this looks. It looks modern, without being filled with gloss and transparency.
The only things that look out of place are the marks on the checkboxes.

PS: Make the 3d+gradients a little bit more subtle.

Thank you for your input and I think that some precisions are needed :

• When thinking about this theme I told myself that it should be rendered with the fewest possible CPU or GPU cycles without compromising the usability, that’s why textboxes have gradients otherwise they should be bevelled (which is very outdated design), the same applies to buttons because they are a metaphor of real-life buttons so they have to suggest tome thickness (again that was designed with ugly bevel in the 90s)

• Sorry for the checkboxes ticks because they are “pixel art”, I made them with brush just to spend less time on the design and I think that the entire theme is 70% complete

• Of course the theme can be enhanced with more complex gradients and drop shadows for menus (for better usability not eye-candy).

• I dream about the day I can make Haiku wear this theme :slight_smile:

LOL right on! The blue leaf is fugly :-))

Playing around with gradients/trasparency …

Looks like someone opened Photoshop and clicked all of the effects buttons. A little excessive in my opinion…

Exactly. Haiku has a theme manager. Make your theme compatible, upload it to Haikuware, and people with older computers can use your less intensive theme.

More info:

http://www.haiku-os.org/blog/mmu_man/2008-01-25/the_bowels_of_the_theme_manager_or_how_to_make_haiku_as_ugly_as_zeta

Samples:

http://revolf.free.fr/z/themes/

I think the current UI is great too. But some ideas here make sense:

• The focused window is the one with shadow
  • The shadow has no blurry border so it renders fast even with non-optimized graphic drivers.
  • The shadow’s transparency can be set to 0 (none) or 100% (completely black shadow)
  • The virtual desktops have slightly different backgrounds (that’s what I usually do)

and the current default leaf is a bit too much like a feather. It could be slightly improved (more brown, more with a leaf shape but still well defined)

Sorry to say this, but I can’t stand any of these designs at all. I love the current UI. It has to look sleek, and serene. The blue leafther does just this. Anyway, the user should be able to choose what he likes. Customisation would be a good feature.