The Dawn of Haiku OS

I see that the IEEE article (referenced in the BeGeistert write-up) is now out and making the rounds.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/software/the-dawn-of-haiku-os

Nice job Ryan.

I sense a website post coming…

2 Likes

It would be nice if we could pack from Haiku branded wallpapers with R1. Both of those would be perfect if they have the right license.

Looking around for an image that might go with “The Dawn of Haiku OS”…

how about this one:
http://mytwitterbackgrounds.com/backgrounds/images/bg/682.jpg

or maybe this one:

:wink:

“In the 11 years since the project began, we’ve released three alpha versions of the software, and this month we expect to release the fourth and final alpha. After that we’ll move to the beta stage, which we hope to get out by the end of the year, followed by the first official release, known as R1, in early 2013.”

According to Ryan Leavengood, there will be an Alpha 4 release in May! Woot! Even better he said there should be a Beta release late r this year followed by R1 in early 2013! This information should be on the main website if it is at all accurate! This gives me renewed hope and excitement! Let the betas come!

I have not the slightest idea how Ryan came up with that time schedule. I fear he’s put out something we won’t be able to deliver. While a newer alpha release seemed to be happening soon back in march, it hasn’t been followed through. Every core dev seems to be occupied with real life.
FWIW, for me the nightlies are pretty stable currently, so from my POV we could branch, have a bugfix weekend and release… :slight_smile:

Regards,
Humdinger

[quote=Humdinger]I have not the slightest idea how Ryan came up with that time schedule. I fear he’s put out something we won’t be able to deliver. While a newer alpha release seemed to be happening soon back in march, it hasn’t been followed through. Every core dev seems to be occupied with real life.
FWIW, for me the nightlies are pretty stable currently, so from my POV we could branch, have a bugfix weekend and release… :)[/quote]

Looking at the haiku-development mailing list, I thought Ryan’s article was a little too optimistic in its time table.

[quote=Humdinger]
FWIW, for me the nightlies are pretty stable currently, so from my POV we could branch, have a bugfix weekend and release… :)[/quote]

+1 for this. Even if it’s not every thing every one wanted for Alpha 4, a release would be better than telling people to just use the nightly builds, IMHO.

I agree. Would love to have a new alpha out for a stable base.

I would also be extremely surprised to see a beta release any time in 2012. Shocked actually. But the devs are perfectly free to shock me if they like!

Maybe it’s better to relase alpha4 on the autumn? At the end of GSOC and BeGeistert. More things will be.

Hi guys,

I was drawn to Haiku after reading the Spectrum article.
Installed alpha 3 on my nettop with Atom processor and had a great experience from the start.

What I did miss was WPA for WiFi, since I don’t have ethernet available.
Don’t know if the new builds have support for that, but a new alpha on short term might be preferable, when the IEEE article is still fresh in people’s mind.

So all in all, keep up the good work!

Hi SilencerEx!

Have a look at a current nightly image. Those have the wpa_supplicant already on board and are quite stable. To join a wireless network, it’s easiest to join via the NetworkStatus icon in the Deskbar. Unfortunately the password isn’t saved yet.
You may want to put a line in /boot/home/config/boot/UserBootscript like “ifconfig /dev/net/to/your/wificard/ join SSID password”.

Be warned, joining a WPA encrypted network may take over a minute. At least for my configuration… The notifications popping up beside the Deskbar will keep you informed when it’s ready. Normally, it’s wait… configuring… wait… no link… then join your network… wait… configuring… ready. :slight_smile:

Regards,
Humdinger

ETA: Once your network’s up and running, do a “installoptionalpackage WebPositive” from Terminal. The nightlies don’t include the browser to save on file size."

LOL

I just finished doing exactly what you described!

Downloaded the latest nightly, had to reinstall wpa_supplicant though before WPA worked.
Also had to reinstall WebPositive to get the browser working again.

But, it’s working like a charm now.
It would be worth a lot if the contents of your post, how to get the nightly version working, is available somewhere easy to spot.

Thanks you guys,
Seems like Haiku OS is ready for my nettop.

When I added that part about the release dates to that article many months ago there seemed to be pretty certain decision about having an Alpha release in May. I’m not sure why it did not happen.

The other dates were wild estimates of course, maybe with some hope of them becoming reality.

You can complain all you want about my putting that in the article but the reality is we need to ship R1 sooner rather than later and stop being the Duke Nukem Forever of operating systems.

• Ryan Leavengood

Could you perhaps try to talk with the other devs too and try to convince them?

The problem is, if I see that no progess is made, and the Alpha4 is not comming, then I really loose any motivation for writing any code related to haiku.
At least there should be a better communication, so that we are informed about what is going on, and when we can expect a new version.

Could you perhaps try to talk with the other devs too and try to convince them?

The problem is, if I see that no progess is made, and the Alpha4 is not comming, then I really loose any motivation for writing any code related to haiku.
At least there should be a better communication, so that we are informed about what is going on, and when we can expect a new version.[/quote]

Alpha4 is no needed. From a user point of view, only introduces the new Mesa. Many sitting on a nightly and gcc4h. It would be better if the main page linking to the latest nightly, not to alpha3.

[quote=Premislaus]
Alpha4 is no needed. From a user point of view, only introduces the new Mesa. Many sitting on a nightly and gcc4h. It would be better if the main page linking to the latest nightly, not to alpha3.[/quote]
Woudn’t alpha 4 introduce unencrypted wifi connection also? I think that the main page could link to alpha 3 and a nightly. I do think that an alpha needs to come out soon though

I don’t agree. There should be a new Alpha, not just point to a nightly. People who try out new O/S’s are not always power users that will go looking to add new things. Say like browser which the nightly does not have. Thats why you have alpha’s/Beta’s, so that you only have to grab 1 file and give the thing a try! Most people are not going to want to read a changelog file to see if there are any good new changes. They are going to look to see if there are any new Alpha/Beta versions lately.

When I go looking at new software and I see no new revision in a year, I am going to think there has been no real updates to the software and go looking some where else!

[quote=kidd106]
Woudn’t alpha 4 introduce unencrypted wifi connection also? I think that the main page could link to alpha 3 and a nightly. I do think that an alpha needs to come out soon though[/quote]
It’ll even add wpa encryption. See this post, however.
I also very much like to see an alpha4, but as mentioned above, most devs are currently otherwise enganged. Just check the commits of the past months. An open source project relies on volunteers devoting their spare time. No time, no commits, no branching/project management etc. etc… No matter if there’s a plan, timeline or dates.

Believe me, the devs that put in 10 years of their hard work would love more frequent releases, too…

Regards,
Humdinger

Old article, I know. – But it’s a good opportunity to catch up with a topic, what always bothered me in articles about BeOS/Haiku: the lack of mentioning the translators.
When I first used BeOS more than 20 years ago, I was amazed how fast and reliable it was.
Then I installed some more programs, even bought Gobe Productive, tried how to set up and use LaTeX, worked with raster and vector images - until I realised the wonderful idea of the translators. So small, so neat, easy to use, just drop them into the translators folder and every acquainted app could open and save into the file format.
If the file format was not brought with an app, just look at BeBits and you did find it. Great!
So, I think, this is worth it whenever one wants to explain Haiku: Multiprocessing, multithreading, file system lika database, lot of attributes. Fine!

But please, please do mention the translators!

7 Likes

That is a decent point, I’m sure there are some other neat things I missed as well. We talked about me writing a follow up to this, though likely just on the Haiku website or on a personal blog. I haven’t started on that at all yet but if I do I’ll be sure to mention the translators.

3 Likes

This is one of the reasons ex-Amiga OS users might be interested in Haiku - translators are the Haiku equivalent of DataTypes.

Chris

5 Likes