The current state and the future of Python on Haiku

Pip was working? I don’t think so…

As a non pyenv code, it “worked”. meaning it installed the packages but you must exit the process manually with a Ctrl C (or Alt variant) to end a endless loop.

On pyenv environments (like some projects use for building their apps like firefox), there was a path error that prevented the pyenv code to run imports ok (folder was wrong).

So… 50% of the time, it worked everytime.

Actually, I found out that instead of “make+make install” a “./build_python.sh” is needed.

Once done that, can try the examples, and they do work. So looks like it is a good start to try to create something for Haiku with Python.

It does not work with Python3 though, only with 2.7.

Thanks @BlueSky!!

Regards,
RR

All the time so many diskussions about dev. languages. Is There a list of available apps written in python?

What I end up with, both with Python and now with Haskell, is this IMAP email application that I use. It works fine - I like it - but I’m sure no one else would be satisfied with it, so I’ve never seriously thought about making it an “available app.”

I wonder what percentage of the software that gets written for Haiku is like that - serves only the person who wrote it and perhaps some associates? My guess would be that it’s the vast majority, and more so on Haiku than typical for other platforms, mainly because of the relative ease with which you can write software here, but also of course the user base is pretty small anyway.

I put that question in terms of software written in whatever, i.e. C++, but Python is sure to lend itself to that, partly because it’s a little easier to work with, and then there’s the difficulty of distributing a program that depends on a particular interpreter installation. If you’re serious, you pretty much have to include the interpreter in the distribution, in a custom install location.

Our package system should cover these needs. You can require a specific version of the interpreter if need be.

And putting up a zipfile of your app somewhere can’t be that hard!

Better use one of those packagers like Nuitka (worked on Haiku), which would bundle both py-dependencies and the program itself. Meaning pip-installed and non in ports or package manager systems, tho.

The non-binary liking people can still download source code and install dependencies if so, and a real haiku package may be done later.

The zipped file method only works if the includes / imports are only of your own.

This is right. But most important to this is to create current running packages. I see so much times packages who does not run currently because lack of description and missing links to the app menu.

Not every package provides deskbar links, CLI programs for example.
Any non-working package or missing deskbar links should be reported on the haikuports issue page.