Thanks for QT

The last time I used Haiku QT was not really there. I have tried a few of the QT apps and I have to say thank you. I know there is controversy about using foreign tool kits and I would of course prefer native apps. But the QT port looks really nice. It fits in pretty good. The QT apps start pretty fast and for the most part feel pretty close to native, at least to me. It isn’t jarring to use. I did notice that QT doesn’t seem to use the native file dialog and only using the default control look. So, if you have changed your control look it won’t match. Maybe those things will come in the future. But, having some of those additional apps is nice and I think the port is well done.

Thanks

9 Likes

Thanks for the nice words. I think most foreign API’s use a single threaded pipe for funnelling multi-window messages to Haiku to work around the BLooper/BHandler multithreaded issues these toolkits have under Haiku, so the ported apps are not as fast as native apps. Add to this latency an additional latency of 2-way message conversion. Having said that, I use QtCreator for native Haiku development and it rocks under Haiku.

I did notice that QT doesn’t seem to use the native file dialog and only using the default control look.

I have already partially implemented the native file dialogs, but they still do not work stably at the moment.

4 Likes

Cool. Is there any hope that QT will be able to use any of the Control Looks and not just the default one?

Thank you so much for working on this, @3dEyes. Having Qt5 available on Haiku enabled me, as someone totally new to Haiku, to port an application and it was such a flawless experience and I’m pretty happy with the result. Native dialogs would be great, but it is already working pretty well.

4 Likes

i have same opinion with you… big thank to @3dEyes for the hardwork