Supporting non-C++ languages in the Paladin IDE

HI all. Yet another Paladin topic here.

I’m looking at adding other language support to Paladin over the coming months. In order to help me prioritise, I was wondering if people can please fill in the below Poll?

Please, if you do not develop in a particular language on Haiku, do not vote for it at all as it will skew my results

Qn: For the languages you develop with when using Haiku, how likely would you be to adopt the Paladin IDE if it supported the following languages?
1 = I do development in this language, but I’ll never change from my current IDE / editor
5 = I would definitely move from my current IDE / editor to Paladin for this language

Basic / yab

0 voters

C (pure C, no C++)

0 voters

C#

0 voters

Go

0 voters

Java

0 voters

JavaScript / Node.js / TypeScript

0 voters

Python

0 voters

Ruby

0 voters

Web development (HTML, CSS, excluding JavaScript

0 voters

Other (Please specify in a comment

0 voters

2 Likes

Hello Adam,
is this correct… I just voter for languages I use?!
the other I do not touch!?

Please, if you do not develop in a particular language on Haiku, do not vote for it at all as it will skew my results

Qn : For the languages you develop with when using Haiku, how likely would you be to adopt the Paladin IDE if it supported the following languages?
1 = I do development in this language, but I’ll never change from my current IDE / editor
5 = I would definitely move from my current IDE / editor to Paladin for this language

Klingt so

1 Like

It would be a pleasure to have an ability to write in D

“Other” = “Objective CAML”. I’m more of a “vi” guy, but I’m sure that among the legions of Objective CAML programmers to come, many will appreciate an IDE option.

Correct. Thanks.

For the other language Rust

1 Like

GDScript for godot engine.

Supporting script languages make only sense if you can run them from the ide to test.

Html… Browser
Yab yab

PERL, CLisp, SQL

OK It’s looking like C, then Python, then Web (HTML/JS/CSS) are the most wanted. I’ll bear this in mind. Thanks all for taking part!

2 Likes

Make it like a module so people can make there own language module without recompiling paladin

2 Likes

Agreed. Already planned for it to be like that.

1 Like

Good day @cosmogatokat,

There is already GDScript support in Koder, so the only thing needed here would be to get Godot working stable on Haiku and select Koder as external editor.
Right now Koder can highlight GDScript, and hopefully, in the near future will also have GDScript autocompletion, and whatever…

Regards,
RR

1 Like

Sounds good. Is there any ‘project level’ organisation or features that would be required over what Paladin has today, that would be of use in GDScript projects?

Seems like a quick win / validation of the multi-language strategy if we can do it.

Good day @adamfowleruk,

Actually, I’m not so sure how we could use Paladin for Godot Projects that much as I’m still working my way through Godot with my first game made with Godot. To throw a bit of background here, I “made” a simple Python app (Gnome+GTK with Glade+GnomeBuilder) to create a folder structure to be used with my Godot Projects, this I’m trying to build it on Python on Haiku… will get there hopefully. This little app, also creates a file “project.godot”:
which is needed for each Godot project, and it is just a text file where my little app adds two lines, the minimum info for Godot to understand it is a Project File because Godot will populate it once you open it in the Game Engine. There is no other files needed to be created at project creation time, and the “inner” project folder structure and script files will vary from developer to developer.

So, from my point of view, and in my humble opinion, what could Paladin do is:
1- When opening a project.godot, open the folder and show all files and folders available
2- Selecting a GDScript file for editing, launch Koder (already has GDScript highlight available and selectable in the languages options)
3- Selecting the project.godot file for editing, launch Godot to open that project.godot file

Though, I presume Godot users would just open Godot and from there open GDScript files for editing (GDScript, Shader files…).

GDScript language support in Koder will improve hopefully, when I understand better how to make a good Scintilla lexer for Koder.

Godot has never proven to be usable in my case, under Haiku 64, though that does not keep me from improving GDScript support in Koder (with @KapiX help, of course, as he pointed me in the right direction to get the first attempt at GDScript highlight).

We could talk this over in order to find a good approach for Paladin to manage Godot projects, though for now, I presume there is no need (my lack of knowledge speaking), as I don’t open a Godot project in VSCode nor GnomeBuilder, I open it in Godot, then use de editor for scripting. Others might do different. :wink:

If you need any deeper insight and you think I can help, feel free to contact me, I’ll be glad to help. (Be patient, I’m now in the fixing triple boot Fedora Silverblue/Haiku/Windows, and can’t get Haiku to boot from Grub yet… :sweat_smile:)

Regards,
RR

1 Like

:purple_heart: C In first position that my choice.

Love this language it’s simple to understand and good bases. I see this well in this IDE. This IDE is light and can be a good interface for C.

I also like the Javascript language … Powerful and native integrated in certain browsers. It’s fun to use it, but I don’t see that kind of language in Paladin. it’s a scripting language…Need maybe something more visual in real time. that’s an opinion.

Of course keep C++ must learn it. And why not assembly Languages? This is surendly partialy used in C++ sources no?

1 Like