Support for nVidia cards in R1 (and maybe before)?

It’s possible to convert nouveau drivers to Haiku?

Nouveau / PSCNV port

Haiku currently uses a native NVIDIA driver for the earlier GeForce 7 (7xxx) series and Quadro FX (x500) series cards. The driver falls back to VESA for newer graphic models.

Nouveau goes up to the GeForce 10-series. There were some earlier talks of using a fork called PSCNV (lesser dependencies). Speak with waddlesplash on IRC for latest core dev initiatives. :key:

Please stop spreading rumors. I have already said that DRM is shelved due to lack of time at present; but even when I was occasionally tinkering with it, I wasn’t touching nouveau for a long list of reasons and said as much.

Just so you know:…

Ref: System Development | Haiku Project
" Nouveau / PSCNV port
Haiku currently doesn’t have a driver for NVidia video cards, and falls back to VESA for those. While our VESA driver is reasonably fast, it can’t set the native resolution on all systems, leading to a suboptimal Haiku experience. Nouveau is a graphics driver for NVidia video cards. There is a fork called PSCNV which might have less dependencies on Linux. cf. https://github.com/pathscale/pscnv/wiki"

1 Like

This is a GSoC idea – emphasis on idea. As far as I know, no student has ever proposed it, much less ever worked on it, nor has any developer.

Well, it seems Nouveau grew enough for NVidia to really take notice:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NVIDIA-Open-GPU-Docs
Now that is what I call progress in open source! :smiley:

1 Like

Not really… if you look deeper it is just the tip of the iceberg in adequate documentation, basically just a PR move at best… and so they can get thier proprietary driver to run on top of Nouveau like AMD does with amdgpu … except AMD actually also provides a fully featured open driver and full very detailed documentation and developers just working on the open drivers full time.

Working on porting Nouveau instead of the Intel driver or AMD driver would be a waste of time and effort.