Support for Intel 8265/8275 wireless chipsets (iwm-firmware)

Hi all,
I have a relatively recent laptop (Thinkpad x270) which uses an Intel 8265/8275 series wireless chipset that uses BSD’s iwm-firmware driver. This isn’t covered with any of the built-in firmware provided by Haiku, so I thought I’d poke around a bit and see if I couldn’t just install the microcode myself.

I managed to find the right driver from BSD’s sources, but it would seem support for my card only got patched into BSD a few months ago
From what I’ve read and seen, however, Haiku has its own special wrapper system for firmware based upon BSD’s firmware releases so I can’t just plop the BSD driver into the firmware directory, not to mention it doesn’t mean the kernel will even look for it if the support isn’t compiled in in the first place.

Is there anything I can do from here to help get wifi on my laptop?

Driver != Firmware
You can try to build the bsd driver but do not expect easy ride. Anarchos working on to get the current BSD drivers into Haiku.

Or use wired connection.

Haiku imported drivers from FreeBSD 9 (this is a few years old by now). Since then, FreeBSD evolved, and it is not an easy task to get newer drivers working. We will have to, eventually.

Work has started on this, and some of our wired drivers are now based on FreeBSD11 versions. But for wireless, we still have some work to do. Unless you are willing to dig deep into hardware drivers and kernel development, there is not much to be done.

1 Like