State of Accelerated OpenGL

Have you mesa_swpipe and llvm_libs installed?

They are installed:

• mesa_swpipe version 17.1.7-3
  • llvm_libs version 5.0.0-1

Could it be the BGLRenderer code has been moved to a different library? Is it no more in libGL.so (or the versioned one, not a problem since libGL.so is a symlink)?

EDIT: Maybe mesa changed something? This is the BGLView construction call. I see nothing out of the ordinary here.
BGLView(frame, “glview”, B_FOLLOW_ALL, B_WILL_DRAW, BGL_RGB | BGL_DOUBLE | BGL_DEPTH | BGL_STENCIL);

Sounds like installed renderer fail to link against libgl to get BGLRenderer class.

Could you dump your haiku hrev ? x86_64 ?

Let’s see… this should be “haiku r1~alpha4_pm_hrev51479-1”… and x86_64

“apps” is for use by self-containeg apps, where there is just a single executable or everything is stored in the same directory. “bin” is used for command line things and in general for everything that uses a somewhat unixy organization of the filesystem. The distinction is quite blurry, however.

Var and cache are as on Linux, but I don’t think we have automatic cleanup in place yet

Okay, It seems I missed a link time library when switching to autoconf by Mesa. Somehow it doesn’t happen with GLTeapot.

I pushed a fix at Haikuports.

Is it possible for Mesa to be multi-threaded and use multiple processors? Modern CPUs such as AMD Zen have 8 cores. If Mesa could use multiple cores, it could be significantly faster. OK, looks like Gallium llvmpipe does support multiple cores: https://www.mesa3d.org/llvmpipe.html

Both llvmpipe and new kid/software rasterizer on the block, openswr, have multithreaded rendering now.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=llvmpipe-swr-xeon&num=1

I dunno if it worth it for us to port openswr backend to Haiku yet.

When will the fix appear in the nightly builds? I update today and it is still broken so I assume it takes longer to get the fix into haiku.

1 Like

It’s now pushed in the repository. For nightlies, wait until tomorrow.

Dunno, but what you can do is building latest mesa package directly from haikuports.
And upgrade mesa + swpipe packages from freshly built packages…

I prefer waiting for nightly builds. It’s better to test against an “official” build than messing around. Makes it hard for maintainers to accurately fix a problem if people nilly-willy compile on their own.

EDIT: The fix is working. One problem less.

3 Likes