[Solved] No Network after update

I just updated my Haiku install. I am now running on hrev56141 (64bit). I was able to update using the software updater so the ethernet worked at that point. After rebooting into Haiku, the network status will go from connecting to configuring and then just stay at configuring. I then rebooted the PC and tried again, no luck. Rebooted into Windows, on same hardware, and wrote this post.

Does anyone have any suggestions on to what I may try. Or, by any chance has anyone else had this problem. I looked but didn’t see an existing ticket about it.

Thanks

Donald

It seems that one of the changes in 56139 broke something and negotiating DHCP fails.
Booting from an earlier state will work. Rebooting after to 59141 or later may also work though it doesn’t seem reliable for everyone.
This is the ticket relative. People encountering that problem should vote for it. Also @waddlesplash would be probably interested, if they can share more details, syslog and/or a KDL screenshot, etc.
For those who don’t know yet, syslog and previous_syslog files can be found in /boot/system/var/log folder.

3 Likes

Thanks for the information.

Yes, I have a good idea of what the problem is, and will experiment with fixes in the coming days.

7 Likes

I committed changes in hrev56149 that will hopefully fix the problem, and posted replies on the relevant tickets asking people to re-test. (I don’t have any of the affected hardware in a way I can test it myself, unfortunately – I do have a rtl81xx device here, but it’s in a computer that’s quite far away from an ethernet jack.)

4 Likes

Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to work. It still has trouble to get the DHCP answer unless I reboot from an earlier rev. Rebooting from another system doesn’t work. Sorry

1 Like

Indeed, it looks like there’s one case I missed.

1 Like

DHCP client handshaking - I spotted two issues:

1. NIC init - make sure the NIC properly (re-)initializes in a clean state (i.e. no errors in syslog)
  2. DHCP offer (handshaking) - DHCP client may overspam DHCP server causing an IP offer block.

Haiku’s DHCP client is a W-I-P (i.e. under development), but it does work.

I’d check the syslog for any NIC errors during NIC initialization session(s) before doing anything else with DHCP handshaking… :wink:

1 Like

Update:

Bumped to hrev56154. Issue resolved. rtl81xx driver tested.

NIC & DHCP disabled/re-enabled in network GUI: PASSED (10 consecutive retests) - No major issues.

Speedtest:
Ping: 1 ms, 121/117 Mbps download/upload speeds. :grin:

3 Likes

I can confirm that it works with hrev56156. Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Update:

Bumped to hrev56192. rtl81xx driver tested.

Link speed: The media type info is now displayed again in ifconfig and the network GUI.

4 Likes