So what is your other OS?

I am new to Haiku and I am planing to install it soon if it can suport my drivers. I tried Haiku in a live DVD and it would not automaticly detect my wireless card on real hardware and it just crashes in virtualbox. I use Linux Mint as my main OS and I love the nix family, but I treat all OS’s like candy and I think that you can never have engough as long as it is not based on OSX or Windows. I also have tried other OS’s like BlueEyed OS, Menuent OS, Kolibi OS, AROS, AEROS, PC-BSD witch hates my laptop and can’t fully work on any thing I own, Haiku, ReactOS, Windows, OSX, DarwinBSD, GNU/Linux, Plan 9, OS/2, and many others. Also don’t get me on the “Windows is an pirated version of OS/2” debate as that gets nasty real quick.

Dragonfly BSD for everything from coding to gaming.

I Am using Debian wheezy, amd64 architecture. (I Run there my Haiku testing system)

I have a dual boot Windows 8.1 / Haiku OS computer for gaming / working
I also have a Macbook Air (2011) for emailing and downloading.

Which image did you download? I can’t seem to get the GUI to work. I am stuck on the CLI.

I’ve used Linux since last using W98 in 1999. Various distros to start with, but standardised on Debian & Debian based. Spent several years with pure Debian, transferred to Crunchbang, now using AntiX (also MX-14).

Another distro I use is SliTaz, it is so small, 40mb, it uses Busybox instead of the usual GNU utilities.

I have used FreeBSD in the past, but it wasn’t so good as Linux for me.

But… I still like to try other OS’s, & so here I am now re trying Haiku. :slight_smile:

[quote=km]I’ve used Linux since last using W98 in 1999. Various distros to start with, but standardised on Debian & Debian based. Spent several years with pure Debian, transferred to Crunchbang, now using AntiX (also MX-14).

Another distro I use is SliTaz, it is so small, 40mb, it uses Busybox instead of the usual GNU utilities.

I have used FreeBSD in the past, but it wasn’t so good as Linux for me.

But… I still like to try other OS’s, & so here I am now re trying Haiku. :)[/quote]

For general use - most every computer enthusiast uses Windows or *Nix/*Linux or iOS at some point in time. Haiku is the only alternative to the “big three” that I find myself continually coming back to. In most cases it just works with no fiddling. I’ve tried various flavours of hobby/niche OSes, and sometimes will play with them for a few weeks or months. But then, realizing that they are just deficient in too many ways to use for day-in/day-out computing, I come back to Haiku (or one of the big three OS lines). Perhaps I should throw RiscOsOpen into the mix, although I don’t have much experience with it. Haiku just rocks.