This is IMHO the better way, instead of having to build network opening capabilities into any text editor or IDE.
It is possible to do this on Haiku, although not as straightforward as it probably could be. I managed to mount a volume from my linux server via SFTP under Haiku a few years ago, using userland_fs. Can’t remember the exact mount command, I think I got some help from pulkomandy and extrowerk IIRC.
What I still remember is something that nearly got me to pull my hair out: userland_fs can (or at least could at the time) only handle one connection at a time. I had smb activated in the network prefs, which also uses userland_fs. That caused all my mount attempts to fail even though it turned out that I had the correct command line.
I don’t know if this limitation still exists.
EDIT:
Here’s how to do it (at least it works this way):
- Install the required packages: pkgman install userland_fs sshfs_fuse
- Run the userland_fs server: /boot/system/servers/userlandfs_server sshfs
- create a directory for the mount point
- Mount the volume (in a new terminal): mount -t userlandfs -o ‘sshfs user@host:/remote/directory’ /path/to/mountpoint
found here: Using SSHFS (with Haiku) | Jessica Hamilton