(Resolved) How install Haiku R1/ beta4 64bit on raw metal erasing the whole disk

I don’t know what you are talking about. But on my 500GB and 1TB hard drive, if i make a full partition it doesn’t boot, but if i partition it on 64GB (65536), Haiku boot.

108G also boot ok.
i guess 50G is enough for haiku with BE file system.

Just tested here, and worked ok with a 495GB partition.

Will get an 1TB drive later to test this also.

Sadly, this machine videocard ( Intel HD 2nd generation, it seems ) is not recognized correctly in beta4 standard iso

On some EFI machines, the boot partition must be in the first 64GB of the disk. Just put it before the BFS one instead of after, then there will be no problem with that.

3 Likes

with such a procedure, Haiku is shooting itself on the foot,
a regular user will NEVER ever manage to do all this,
what a pity…

1 Like

I am not sure if this is a bad consequence for the project.

2 Likes

I am convinced that you are sure!

If Haiku aims at limiting itself only on nerds and tech-savvy people,
I guess you are right.
Then the 14 steps needed BEFORE one tries to start installing the OS
should be increased to 114 steps.

I was under the impression that Haiku also targeted to the 95% of the regular users who just wanted to try
a unique, beautiful, and amazingly fast OS,
such as Haiku, although it’s still in beta!
What a pity…

(I’m typing this on WebPositive using Haiku on a live USB stick,
on a Thinkpad, as I’m unable to install the OS on it.)

Maybe some developers will understand my frustration
and try to offer *a very simple way * to start the installation,
in the immediate future.

1 Like

I don’t think elitarism is good. That’s what I hate about some Linux and BSD hackers. But I think Haiku is generally very user-friendly. The bootloader installation will surely improve.

Elitarismus… puuuhhhh…

If you call it elitarism or not, I don’t like this attitude. But I don’t think that all developers think so.

As for your Thinkpad, start by disabling Secure Boot in its BIOS. Just to make things easier.

I installed beta4 in a spare machine, just to see how it was working, and to see the steps to install as an only OS.

There are some things I do not like about DriveSetup, but those are for another post.

The instalation was easy.

Maybe someone who has a Thinkpad ( which is the model of yours ? ) could help you with precise steps of where to enable/disable things in bios, but actually following the “14 steps” recipe work without problems.

When you boot from USB, are you choosing the normal (BIOS) mode, or EFI ?

we can share our layman’s experience for each other.
just post your idea.
the core team have right to accept or not.

it should post more and more haiku’s code into Internet and also layman’s experience article.

more layman’s experience article,yes , it is our layman’s duty. this is not the duty of core team.

when I put any live usb stick, it starts from the USB,
if I don’t put a live usb stick, it loads the installed GNU/Linux distro,
on the Thinkpad T410,
I have no idea about (BIOS) or EFI

That means you haven’t deleted the linux partition yet.
boot the usb stick, launch DriveSetup select that linux partition right click and choose “delete partition” , then select that empty space (all of it) right click and choose “create” and tick the “Active partition” checkbox, then select the newly created partition right click and choose “format->Be file system”, close DriveSetup, (there you have it, you’re now using the whole disk) and then install, (i trust you could manage that last part on your own?).

1 Like

if you don’t need the GNU/Linux distro, you can format the all disk into be file system. and then install haiku.
i found it is hard to multiple boot thing.

when you format, choose the whole disk , not one partition.

Did we already mention twice or more in this discussion that we do have a ticket open about this and we plan to fix it eventually? Is it not clear enough? Should we say it again? Maybe so.

We are aware of the problem, there is a ticket about it and we will fix it eventually. We are not making this complicated on purpose and extrowerk’s elitist comments are not reflecting the opinion of the developers (he isn’t one, just one of the “regular users” here).

So, if you are worried about this, just upvote the ticket and it will get to the top of the TODO list. There is no need to continue discussing this here, this discussion is going nowhere with everyone saying “yes, we should do this” except for one (1) user.

2 Likes

Ok, understood.

Well, today I managed to install Haiku
on the whole solid state disk!
I reread everything on this topic,
and it dawned on me that I needed to erase eveything, first.
So, using DriveSetup on my live usb drive

1. I erased all the partitions
  2. I made an intel partition
  3. I formatted it as Be File system
  4. I mounted it

then I closed the DriveSetup app
&
installed Haiku using the installer

The whole procedure took me a 2-3 minutes only.
Wifi, video and sound work fine on
my Lenovo Thinkpad T410,
which now has only Haiku.

Thank you all for your help.
:smiley:

8 Likes