(Resolved) How install Haiku R1/ beta4 64bit on raw metal erasing the whole disk

I’ve read the installation guide

but, I don’t want any partitions,
I want to erase the whole disk and install ONLY Haiku,
how can I do this?

Why do you not want paritions? if you efi there is no way around this. It’s mainly just a detail of how the layout looks. :slight_smile:

On some bios system this worls fine… you just erase the disk, and create a partition in the blank space and format it as bfs.

There is no way around partitions, you can only get away with not having a partition table on some systems. And then the question remains why you wish to do this.

I have installed Haiku R1beta4 64bit erasing the WHOLE DISK on an old Toshiba laptop,
but I don’t remenber how !!!
Now I want to do the same on a much better Thinkpad,
but to no avail,
I got confused…
Maybe I’ll read the installation guide once more
and try again…
there must be something that I can’t see
on the procedure…

If you use the whole disk you still have a partition :slight_smile:

What do you want to acomplish?

On some machines you can install Haiku by formatting the whole disk without a partition table, but on some machines (all EFI machines, and some BIOS ones) you can’t, because the BIOS checks for a valid partition table.

that’s why installation was so easy on the old Toshiba,
what I do remember is that
I DID NOT have to go through 14 steps!!! to start the installaion.

I really couln’t believe my eyes,
when I managed to install Haiku
so easily
in just a few minutes!

I just want to erase the whole disk of the Thinkpad
(which now has only Kubuntu 22.04)
and install Haiku R1/beta4 64 bit.

I’m using Haiku from a live USB stick on this Thinkpad, right now,
and as I can see, wi fi, sound works fine.
so I suppose i can enjoy Haiku on it.

Another funny thing is that this Haiku live USB stick
[made with openSUSE image writer on a Manjaro system]
has saved the wi fi password, Greek language keyboard layout,
even a short Stylededit file I wrote
the PREVIOUS time I used it,
before shutting down the laptop.

1. Erase the disk
  2. create a partition table (gpt for efi, otherwise intel)
  3. create a bfs partition
  4. format the partition

(5 on efi create an esp partition)

It’s not that hard, the only difference with no partition map is skipping part 2.

In any case, yes this is annoying. But it has nothing to do with the partition table but rather that users have to think about this stuff and Installer doesnt do it for you.

If you are unhappy about the current situation for Installer, you can upvote this ticket on the bugtracker: #16217 (Installer: Add Install Modes) – Haiku which is about adding a “erase everything” mode to Installer with not as much manual steps.

2 Likes

The guide and the installer are confusing, I had the same problem myself over in this thread [1].

It’s better to use Gparted. Here’s the short version, for mbr/legacy booting, whether using haiku DriveSetup or gparted (I still don’t understand efi/gpt):
Initialize the disk as intel
create a partition as bfs
format the partition as bfs
run the installer

[1] Trouble Booting x86 Haiku on Dell Inspiron E1505/6400 Laptop

1 Like

nephele, thanks,
but unfortunately this is too difficult for me

This is all you need for a legacy/mbr install.

1 Like

this looks easier,
not sure I can manage it, though

This is strange considering you having done it in the past.

In any case, wait for beta5 i suppose, maybe it will have made the installation slightly easier.

Would this help:

Put the USB stick image on the harddisk. That’s all.

Maybe with a Linux tool?

Try the installation with EFI step by step. I did this several times now and you cannot do many mistakes. If you want to use the whole harddisk, nothing can happen because all data will be “deleted” in any case. So, if you have a backup of your disk or don’t need the data - who cares.

I spelled it out step-by-step on this thread. It was for an early prerelease of beta4 but should still work.

1 Like

TL:DR:
Partitioning just means “preparing a place in the drive”, doesn’t matter if it’s the whole drive or just a fraction of it.

(longer version:)
I guess that maybe @ninos could be interpreting “partitioning” as “dividing into various parts”?
It happened to me, when I started dealing with this things years ago.
Then I learnt to just do it, even if it didn’t make sense to me (Why do it for only one partition? I just wanted to use the whole disk!), and simply accepted it as a kind of “technical bureaucratic paperwork”, so to speak.
Only time later understood that partitioning means “setting the boundaries of the place (part) where the data will be stored” and formatting means “setting the way (form) the data will be stored inside this boundaries”. Simplifying a lot, I know, there’s still a lot of technical nuances that fly over my head.
Kind of like “laying out in the ground where the building will go” and then “doing the building itself”.
A building with thousands and thousands of tiny rooms :laughing:

2 Likes

Yes, 20 years ago when this project started, everyone using a computer was accustomed to these things. Because they probably had to use DOS or some other system like that.
Now, we can’t expect as much from users (which is good, it means they do more intesting things with computers than messing with these technical low-level things!). And so we need to rework this part a little.

12 Likes

Plus the fact that there is MBR & UEFI nowadays - I’ve been using computers since learning in the mid 70’s using DOS - & I still don’t actually understand UEFI, just that it’s different, & if you do things a certain way, your computer will boot up, just like when using the MBR.

So any easing of the installation process would go a long way to having other people trying/using Haiku.

Initializing the disc is one such confusion, & then partitioning it, also confuses new comers - not just here, but also Linux/BSD - if this could become ‘point & shoot’ so much the better, with a ‘custom install’ option for those who want something other than using the whole disc.

Unfortunately, a lot of people want to try alternate operating systems alongside of MS Windows, & that is where real problems generally start showing up…

3 Likes