Request to developers regarding printer support

type something in pe and try

I did it. No print

file a ticket at haiku ticket tracker

ā€œWhen issuing a ticket, write details about the equipmentā€ā€¦ In this case, it will be a bureaucratic procedure. I am sure that the problem is related to the lack of drivers for the Canon LBP 3000 printer in the system. The driver for this printer is specific and it is essential for printing, but it simply does not exist. Selecting another printer from the list will not produce results because the drivers are incompatible. Itā€™s my opinion

go file a ticket, could be as simple as a update to guetenprint which might need doing anyway.

1 Like

There are other Canon LBP models. My concern was PCL5/6 support as Canon mentions this LBP printer supports the PCL5/6 drivers - but I think it is either very specific LBP models and/or a Canon-modified ā€˜genericā€™ implementation of PCL5/6 drivers (i.e. a bit different than the ones provided with Haiku). Certain LBP printers require support for a auto-shutdown featureā€¦

Anyhow, I can add this as an enhancement ticket. Gutenprint currently doesnā€™t support the specific Canon LBP models that use the CAPT driverā€¦

Haiku Enhancement ref: CAPT Printer Driver & Utilities for Haiku Ā· Issue #8469 Ā· haikuports/haikuports (github.com)

1 Like

There is already an update to Gutenprint somewhere in the pipeline and no need to open a ticket for it if itā€™s just that. But there is no LBP-3000 printer listed on Gutenprint homepage: Gutenprint Supported Printers so I doubt it.

2 Likes

i canā€™t keep up with everything, Iā€™ll take you at your word, i was just suggesting a ticket

I am of the same opinion. The Canon LBP 3000 uses a CAPT driver, and most likely it is only suitable for the LBP 3000 printer (on the Canon website there are no other printer models in the list of compatible equipment, but only the LBP 3000 and this is very remarkable). Hypothetically, it can be compatible with the LBP2900 and others that are close to 3000). I think gutenprint is something else. By the way, I tried to use gutenprint in Ubuntu and didnā€™t get any result. If you download the Linux driver for the Canon LBP 3000 from the manufacturerā€™s website, then we will not see ā€œgutenprintā€, but we will see the ā€œCAPT driverā€.
And of course, it would be nice if the haiku developers added ā€œCAPTā€ to the list of printer types with support for a wide variety of printers (similar to how they did it with ā€œgutenprintā€). The printer is the most important peripheral equipment for a computer. The more printer models supported, the more popular the OS will be.

guetenprint supports a massive swath of printers, see if you can petition cannon tool contribute support to guetemprint

I have already issued a ticket and sent