Replying to years old threads. Pros and cons

Oh, come on… everyone loves to see what things they said, ages ago… even me! I mean, I Google “Luposian Bug” just for the laughs! I mean, I haven’t been here… since when? You wouldn’t like my answer, if I told you why. But… I still peek in, now and then, hoping (against hope) that maybe… just maybe… Haiku will be an actually usable OS… that won’t break, every other update I install. 20+ years (TWO ENTIRE DECADES, PEOPLE!) later… we’re into a couple Betas… I’m 53 now. Will we have R1 by the time I’m 55? 60?

Yup… keep those old threads around… it will tell me just how long Haiku has taken to get to where it is… and why. :grin:

Maybe the real treasure was the friends we made along the way.

2 Likes

I can’t disagree with ya there! :grinning:

kicad.info where I am somewhat these days… disables new comments to post I think 30 days after the last comment was made. Active posts stay active, old inactive posts… get effectively archived.

And honestly that’s just how it should work.

Perhaps there are exceptions to this such as stickied posts, OP posting to thier own thread with an update, or special mega threads that are intended from the start to never die.

1 Like

The reason its annoying is forum posts are a bit more ephemeral than a bug tracker… and bringing up a 10 year out of date topic isn’t helpful…

30 days is a bit extreme maybe, but other than that I agree with you. If someone really wants to comment on an old thread they can always create a new one an put in a link to the old (archived) thread.

1 Like

Especially when that’s mentionned in a reply that is “29 days later” after the previous post :rofl:
Now I am wondering if that was intentional!

2 Likes

I don’t understand all the hoopla about reviving old threads. If it’s not interesting, just skip it. Sometimes old tidbits of news or old projects pop up, that were totally forgotten by everyone. Maybe they inspire some new developing efforts!

There is no problem about reviving old threads if you want to add something in the same topic. But if you want to talk about something only loosely related, start a new thread.

This whole discussion started because someone asked about support for their graphics card, in an unrelated thread talking about drivers for graphics cards from 10 years ago. That’s confusing because everyone else starts to read the old messages and start thinking “weird, why is everyone sharing out of date info?” and then notice it’s old messages from decades ago.

6 Likes

everyone was only in that thread (and now this one) because of complaints about new replies. this conversation is nearly All of the new activity. if we don’t talk about it it’s a non-issue.

2 Likes

Dear @Akakor

Well,
I did this with an “old” forgotten final blogpost of a GSOC student ZFS development to check out if someone would pick it up as if it maybe inspire someone.
Someone soon lamented about it “HOW OLD IS this topic …”
Someone confirmed how so …

It was quickly closed by a moderator - who also agreed on it :wink:

From my side - no problem. I don’t judge it - I just sorry for it as none get this development goal from new guys or peeking readers of Haiku forum.

It was just an experience based on I warn you …
do not hope in it such way :slight_smile:

We are different -
ALWAYS there will be who likes only NEW fresh stuff
And for those who wonders :
Debates are always here about different things, just as this above …
As the forum is a common place, there are regulations to act upon, but meanwhile there are some people they likes to take it as in their drawers - in every small corner :
there, … everything must be in a perfect order …
IN THEIR ORDER - as they think about well ordered world - to find as they like.
Ones who have enough patience … they do not start debating - just smiles on it. Previous ones, well they, simply still could not get accept it
howeever there are regulatons,
there are moderators to guard such regulations
and there are subjective, different kind of orders of the viewers, editors of these posts
and against it your special order is not among of these when and what happened about threads, posts …well that is hurting.
From my POV the only wise thing is to accept it calmly, as it is a common place, so again : this is a common place, meanwhile we are different. It’s not such a drawer of your own :wink:

1 Like

There is nothing wrong with making a new post to do what you wanted with a title that reflects that.

On the other hand its confusing, and frankly annoying when several year old topics get reopened. Because it looks like news … when its nothing but someone bumping an old topic which is widely regarded as bad netiquette. Most forums close old topics, because it you can inadvertently comment on something old and do just that… its not merely preference, its good manners.