Real-life Haiku OS R1/beta4 64bit testing on raw metal

I can pretty consistently get app_server's memory usage to jump into the hundreds of MB and stay there even after closing WebPositive by browsing various pages on vimeo.com's blog. (I discovered this inadvertently while trying to reproduce a totally unrelated bug; I wanted to find some videos to browse on Web+, but it seems all video, not just YT, isn’t working at the moment.)

I checked listarea, all the memory seems to just be in the heap.

The video implementation in webkit needs to be rewritten, it may work in some cases but it isn’t ready/finished
(for example it does not do streaming)

I honestly thought pch_thermal was added to the image. power/pch_thermal/ is the current device path. I think I’ll move to sensor/pch_thermal, sounds better.

2 Likes

What is the command to install the
acpi_thermal driver
to check the CPU temperature?

There is no command to “install” it, you have to compile it yourself using the Haiku source code.

Mmmmm. Too difficult for me.
I don’t know how to compile source code.

I turned on my thinkpad two and a half hours ago, this morning,
and have been using it using gnome web, the terminal and telegram-desktop,
I just checked it by touching
the bottom of the laptop with my palm,
and it certainly is NOT hot at all.

Besides differences in design (some PCs/laptops just run hotter than others):

Different hardware will have differences, specially because not all CPU have drivers to handle their frequency/power (reducing those when full power is not needed).

The ones what do, might use little power, and remain cool. Others, like my little Atom N450 based netbook, run hotter than on Win/Linux, due to the lack of such drivers.

2 Likes

I’m running 32 bit R1b4 on a HP C700 - 1.8GHz Celeron / 2GB RAM / 120GB SSD.
It gets extremely hot.
Even when just “idling”. Same notebook doesn’t run that hot with Linux nor NetBSD.
I really want to do more with Haiku-OS, but asbestos gloves make touch typing difficult.
Any suggestions?

Most likely this is because cpu idle driver is not implemented for your processor so it spins at 100 % all the time. I have the issue also on old atom hardware. I believe previously there was a simpler driver that worked, but it is long gone now. And the driver architecture has changed so it would require reimplementation from scratch more or less

2 Likes

Wow, such events would be useful if it would be added … :star_struck:

Dear Oscar ,

Please shift your focus back on them !.. especially if thermal events monitoring addition to ActivityMonitor app is really possible …

:pray:

1 Like

Today I’ve tried the acpi_thermal on a “new” netbook I got…

Ended up getting a KDL when I tried to read from it (with cat /dev/power/acpi_thermal/0), so I’ll postpone the suggestion to add it to the regular images, for now at least :smiley:

2 Likes

okidoki , dear Oscar

… we should not polarize Haiku community
:wink:

Please don’t post animated gifs. Those are even more annoying than all these cutsy meme images and huge emojies, which I’d like the to see fewer of, too…

8 Likes