R1beta2 installs but won't run on HP desktop

Hello, I have an HP desktop with an opteron 2435 chip with 12 cores. It has been running a nightly version of R1beta1, 32bits, for a couple of years, with no problems. I tried installing R1beta2 from an anyboot usb stick. It boots from the usb stick with no problem, and installs Haiku. But then it will not boot from the HD. It stalls after the 4th icon lights up – ie, on the chip-icon. I have tried safe mode and safe video mode, and others, with no change. I tried nightly versions 54484, 54460, 54412 – all with the same results. In debugging mode, it fills a few screens with output, and then it just stalls. Any ideas?

sounds like could be either an usupported or unknown to the SATA driver drive controller, or a corrupted partition or bad install… I’m guessing the log output might give a better indication.

Booting from usb stick, you can try to access the partition on the disk and check if there is a syslog file there. It may give you a hint on what’s going wrong.

Is it a HP xw9400 workstation or similar?

Yes, it is an xw9400. It is a wonderful computer.
The last lines of the syslog file follow.
This is while trying to boot nightly hrev 54484,
which booted fine from a usb stick, and installed,
but won’t boot from the HD.

KERN: scanning with: file_systems/bfs/v1
KERN: bfs: KERN: mounted “Haiku” (root node at 131072, device = /dev/disk/usb/0/0/0)
KERN: usb_disk: operation 0x35 failed at the SCSI level
KERN: usb_disk: request_sense: key: 0x05; asc: 0x26; ascq: 0x00; Invalid field in parameter list
KERN: usb_disk: request_sense: key: 0x05; asc: 0x26; ascq: 0x00; Invalid field in parameter list
KERN: hda_stream_stop()
Last message repeated 1 time
KERN: set MTRRs to:
KERN: mtrr: 0: base: 0xf8000, size: 0x1000, type: 0
KERN: mtrr: 1: base: 0xdffc6000, size: 0x2000, type: 0
KERN: mtrr: 2: base: 0xdffc8000, size: 0x8000, type: 0
KERN: mtrr: 3: base: 0xdffd0000, size: 0x10000, type: 0
KERN: mtrr: 4: base: 0xf0000000, size: 0x10000000, type: 0
KERN: mtrr: 5: base: 0xe0000000, size: 0x20000000, type: 1
KERN: Launching x-vnd.be-tskb failed: System shutting down

I have the same PC, also with 12 core opteron. I haven’t run Haiku on it for a couple of years. Make sure you’re not mistakenly connecting your drive to a SAS connector.
I’ll try again tomorrow with a nightly to see if I can replicate your problem.

looks like a driver issue to me

Thank you for your suggestions. I think it is a problem with the usb driver. hrev 53694 (and previous) installs and runs perfectly. hrev 54484 installs but won’t run. The syslog file shows it quits after trying to execute usb commands. What should I do?

Create a bug report?

I finally got around to trying a clean install on my HP xw9400. As before, CD boot will KDL.
USB boot, drive setup, installation and first boot went without any issues.
I used a nightly 64 bit image, and initialized the disc with an Intel partition map.

Thanks very much. It looks like the key is a fresh installation on a newly formatted disk. I have gigabytes of files I want to keep. Maybe I can move them elsewhere.