Question on installing Haiku natively

What’s the easiest route to install Haiku on a hard drive. I would like to be able to use a prebuilt image to do this , as I am not able to access the internet (svn) with either BeOS or Zeta.
I have both R5 and Zeta. Is there a wiki about this?

Searching the forums will find you a multitude of discussions about this very topic :slight_smile:

With R5/Zeta you can actually mount the downloaded image and copy the contents to a BFS partition directly - that would be easiest.

If you need to do it from linux, here’s the preferred method(s):

http://haiku-os.org/community/forum/installing_haiku_to_a_partition_from_linux

Read down through the comments to see how to also ‘dd’ the image to a partition. As long as you put it on the first partition of a disk, it should be bootable, otherwise you’ll have to run makebootable (which requires obtaining all of the code and cross-compiler to build/run it from Linux).

If you don’t have an internet connection on Zeta/R5 then you would probably want to download a copy of the daily build and copy it to a cd or somewhere you can get to it on Zeta/R5.

If you have a Linux box with internet access (I prefer Ubuntu) then you can easily set it up to download the source, compile the software, and copy it to a partition.

Zeta and R5 can both read ext2/3 and ntfs partitions - so you can download the image there, and then copy it to your R5/Zeta partition in order to mount it and copy it to the empty BFS partition for Haiku.

I followed the instructions provided in the link, it worked great!
But how does it read haiku off the extra ext3 partition?

Just because it’s labeled as ext3 in the partition table, that doesn’t mean it’s an ext3 filesystem.

The filesystem that is created on the partition is BFS - you can alter the partition table and set the type to “eb” if you want, but it doesn’t apparently matter.

Personally i found it easiest to simply download the daily build Haiku.image.bz2 to my windows 2000 machine extract the image to a temp directory hook up my target drive to the slave cable and dd the image to \?\device\harddisk1\partition0. Shutdown the machine and install the target drive in the target machine.

The only trouble I had was reseting the screen resolution to 1064x768 as the old graphics card in the target machine would not support a higher resolution. all works great now.