Progress on porting Firefox

People have been talking about it for about 20 years, there’s no rush here :wink:

9 Likes

Dear @KENZ,

I think if you found some tool would help your porting attempt and that is tough work for you - you may share here what kind of situation you have problematic on OS level to build that Debugger - that is better fit to this porting efforts - me myself reading it more even I won’t understand precisely or at all … than several suggestions I spoke up earlier.

I willingly had not responded HERE to @Pulkomandy to not commit OT - me myself…
So I had not confirm his efforts related to Web+ … however I use it for all Haiku related stuff and for them I find it very stable reliably.
I separate my activities in browsers as some requires other browsers - not enough the incognito mode. Some might have ad and malware removal as sometimes I use “grey” pages or pages try to use my processor power or my attention for not relevant content that profitable for them but confusing for readers.
I’m happy for Haiku related stuff I don’t have to care about it I can “freely” use services without taking care of removing unnecessary content – just as in the golden ages. ( However these pages has no weird tastes just as some pure html sites had in the '90s 8D )
This way I was glad when he posted about cleaning Webkit related codes and other stuff - I followed those posts as well.
Back to the topic related to Firefox browser and task separation:
This way I wait for Firefox as I used it on Windows and on Linux as well. Just to be able to separate my stuff.

Thanks to all of your efforts. I just use Haiku daily.
(( Finally I could boot R1B4 64bit Haiku from DVD - no errors, no boot options needed (I wanted to reach it) – but still failed to install it on a flash drive. I will continue to complete it. ))

Firefox ESR 115 has just been released.

10 Likes

@KENZ did you make any more progress on firefox since the esr 115 release?

4 Likes

Had someone continued to complete the porting attempt(s) of Firefox ESR since then ?

Perhaps everyone in the thread should respect the request of the developer to be patient… he’s already said you dont’ need to check here to see if he’s made progress as he has no intention to devote extensive time detailing because that isn’t his thing, people have gotten used to “patreon” developers but some people aren’t like that. If it starts working it will end up posted on major sites.

4 Likes

Very good point. Doesn’t GNOME Web work on Haiku now, so if you’re desperate to use a modern-ish browser that should be fine. @PulkoMandy 's work (I think that’s the right person) on the Haiku WebPositive browser has improved that too, so maybe try that?

Firefox is a lot of work to port.

Sorry for not reading “major sites” … :j
Haiku forum is enough major for me …
as if I’m interested in Haiku and apps’ runnin’ on it
Anyway I had not pushed anyone … I assumed I had taken a simple galant question about a possible progress, by far -

Post opener was really patient with everyone here : even with real pushing types - who had offered their FF alternatives as porting targets as better choices - as well, so I had not expected such behaviour when I asked this way : “someone”. Just exactly as I had not read such probable “major sites” e.g github, StackOverflow, etc as I am not a developer , but a user of Haiku and apps on it. Actually only Haiku. I hoped only … someone who – against me – reads such “major sites” or anything else and answer me what they know about it … reading my question.
Who knows nothing … may remain silent : as the wise men ( as I heard about them – from more wise men than me :wink: ).
Fortunately I had not been disappinted in my expectation … as you are who’s getting lecturing me without reason.

So terribly sorry for my really stupid, but honest, simple question :

what’s news generally about Kurama or Kyubi aka ported ‘Firefox’ on Haiku ?.

Thank you for your offerings : I use both Web+ and Web as well.
Your post is tipycal example about assuming something about someone – without knowing better … so measure and try to guess persons for what upon they acted such way – and generally assumes the worst.
So finally to know my exact reason let me share with all of the readers this post :
curiosity. Simple curiosity.
Also I generally use several - at least minimum 3 - different browsers for my web activities separate them and try to not mix them. Entertainment (ad blocking), banking (different browser + ad blocking + or incognito if separatzed browser not possible), work + improvement myself (try to not involve Google lately) + confidential - from any point of view- (ad blocking + different browser as well).
This way my interest was NOT urging … to have … asap.

This ticket needs to be resolved for port to progress:

1 Like

I replied to the mozjpeg issue earlier, provides there are the same as for libjpeg-turbo, even Gentoo uses that in favor of mozjpeg it seems (not seeing any requirement for mozjpeg at other OS’s to when doing a quick check on repology).
Gentoo’s dependencies: www-client/firefox – Gentoo Packages

3 Likes

And for NSPR, the removal was about BeOS, not Haiku. Usually BeOS needed a lot more specific code, and Haiku can run the UNIX generic code jtst fine instead. Often in these libraries, we found the BeOS hacks were creating more problems than they were solving for us.

So, that probably isn’t such a big problem for us either (and I hope no one was expecting to run this new Firefox port on BeOS)

12 Likes

Thanks for updates to all of you !

Meanwhile Firefox esr 155.8.0 has been released recently. @KENZ can you build it ?

2 Likes

I managed to make Wayland EGL working by compiling regular Mesa Wayland support (llvmpipe, shm, dri) and Wayland server in separate process (UPDATE: in-proc mode also works fine).

Building Firefox seems beyond my capabilities. I need build instructions for absolute dumb or existing binaries.

28 Likes

I managed to get Firefox somewhat running, but font rendering is currently disabled because of Rust code problems. It seems Firefox abuse Rust undefined behavior that stopped working in newer Rust versions (see glandium.org » Blog Archive » When undefined behavior causes a nonsensical error (in Rust)). Rust problems are likely already fixed in newer versions of Firefox. But rebaseing patches to newer Firefox version need some work.

59 Likes

Great progress!
We’re getting closer to a usable Firefox.

4 Likes

Speaking of Rust and font rendering,did you already try the different rendering options?
Here are the differences and how to force each choice: HOWTO Make Mozilla Firefox Blazing Fast On Linux - LinuxReviews
The legacy non-Rust engine should be still available and maybe fonts will work fine with it,if the issues are directly related to Rust.

4 Likes

Seems like Christmas came early this year :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Awesome work! Can be a game changer once the rough spots are fixed up

1 Like