Progress on porting Firefox

what ? people cant ask questions. skjerp deg !

1 Like

It is currently meaningless to talk about stability before solving Rust problems. New Rust version significantly altered behavior that formally considered undefined and now it trigger failures in various parts. It should be fixed in new Firefox versions. So we need to rebase Haiku patches over new Firefox version that is compatible with new Rust version. Or try to use old Rust version that I think is a bad idea.

9 Likes

I’m currently trying to patch the latest LibreWolf source archive with the Haiku patches.
I haven’t looked at all patches yet,but those I’ve seen are at places where I don’t think a lot has changed,so that should be rather easy.

Edit: Maybe I was a bit too optimistic with that.
Currently it fails extremely early because it can’t find some Python packages.
I’ll take a break until someone figures out how to fix the Python mess.
Working with Python stuff is always awful,that’s also the point where I failed trying to port Pale Moon some weeks ago.

8 Likes

Yay, can remove that from my TODO list \o/ :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Finaly after about 20 years(?) :stuck_out_tongue: :rofl:

3 Likes

Firefox 128:

51 Likes

How well does it work?
Can it render discuss.haiku-os.org?

1 Like

That’s really great news!
Looks like it works perfectly already,I mean at least all screenshots are rendered without issues.
I think I’ll use Haiku a lot more now that this is available.

Reading that “the browser that puts your privacy first” marketing bullshit is a bit funny,however,considering that Mozilla bought an advertising network recently and feeds your browser data to it lol
It’s time to get my hands dirty on porting LibreWolf again.

5 Likes

Finally, a browser that cloudflare doesn’t ruin (I hate cloudflare so much it has no reason to be this annoying.) are there any issues that have to be resolved for it to be called “finished”. Asking since it seems complete based on these screenshots. Aside from the fact that everything is in a serif font.

1 Like

how can I install firefox on my Haiku laptop?

It’s not yet available as package.
You can build the repository GitHub - kenz-gelsoft/gecko-dev: Read-only Git mirror of the Mercurial gecko repositories at https://hg.mozilla.org. How to contribute: https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/contributing/contribution_quickref.html from source,but you need a lot of RAM and CPU cores to do that in a reasonable time.

3 Likes

Nice, really nice on the screenshots.

I wait with joy … till we can install it and check out working on Haiku Beta release.

Honestly, slowly I am getting a bit tired with news only.

3 Likes

Currently still waiting for my build server to unpack the latest LibreWolf source archive.
USB storage is really a major bottleneck here.
As soon as I have something that works,I will share a binary that everyone can test.
I fear that it will require a somewhat recent Nightly,however.

2 Likes

Okidoki. I just wrote Beta release, as then not requires to be on Nightly.
Actually I am on nightly as now I can experience the shaping new Beta here, and I have both on a same kind of USB thumbdrive, so I can see
does it worth to upgrade, and if yes : when ? … for me.

As I use Haiku as a daily driver actually and there’s no other OS to hop on to help me out … it is rather a necessity to keep a reliable version. I would avoid install and configure again. I did a million times in the spring time until I had reliable, and also bigger, USB thumbdrives.

1 Like

It’s better to stay on the Beta with your important things,as Nightlys can always break.
The new beta will likely come in a few weeks,so it’s safer to wait and enjoy it when it’s really ready for daily use,especially if you have no alternative.

1 Like

Have you tested any extensions with the port? Personally, I’m hoping that the following extensions work fine:

• uBlock Origin
  • Dark Reader
  • Firefox Side View
  • SponsorBlock
2 Likes

Also while in the meantime GTK theming still isn’t matching with the system yet, there’s a BeOS colour scheme available for Firefox:

2 Likes

Does Firefox still use XUL or is it fully GTK these days?

Doesn’t really use XUL these days, but it also barely uses GTK. For Windows and macOS, Firefox doesn’t use GTK at all, but rather native APIs.

Hmm, what would be needed to get Firefox directly using the BeAPI?

Some developer who would want/like to work on it, presumably.

We should stop offering new tasks when the project is in short of hands and minds for actual missing features or shorcomings that offered by devs to work on !..

Manpower in needs → Developing

There’s a lot from it can be selected -

I am really happy to this year 5 GSOC contributor started to work on Haiku and their apps related tasks.

That’s a very positive thing that shows Haiku is in scope - I do not think crowd and banners on newspapers/portals would help us out efficiently.
Also good devs have time and energy to support so many projects.

4 Likes