Problems running emulators on BeOS 5

Hmmm, but if I copy mupen64 to the /apps folder and install zlib 1.1.4 pkg and gtk pkg, it should work without doing anything additional.

Also I’m not sure why the other emulators don’t even start, with exception with the ones like Snes9x which work (they are listed previously - which work and which don’t).

Probably because you installed some incompatible lib which breaks things.

Ok, so now I have reinstalled BeOS 5 PE Max Edition v4b1 with gtk, sdl 1.2.7 and zlib 1.1.4.

The procedure of installing the emulators (same just plus BeNES and finalburnsdl) is by right click and copy to /boot/apps folder (extracted).

Then creating links in terminal by:

ln --symbolic /boot/apps/BeNES/BeNES /boot/home/config/nr/Applications/Emulators/BeNES

So, now some of the emulators like BoycottAdvance work (the difference is I have only zlib 1.1.4 package installed) while mupen64 still doesn’t works and the others finalburn, dgensdl,sdlgnuboy,gens,visualboyadvance show only a command-line insterface, links in BeOS menu don’t start.

• when I start ‘/boot/apps/finalburnsdl/finalburnsdl’ in terminal, it shows a line:
    using finalburnalpha code: no

how do I enable ‘finalburnalpha code’?

• /boot/apps/mupen64/mupen64

mupen64: missing library

probably some other library -not zlib1.1.4- is missing for mupen64 I’m not sure which one?

Check /var/log/syslog, maybe you will find the missing library name there?

cat /var/log/syslog

shows only some hexadecimal number and error: missing library

I’m not sure if there was strace command in BeOS. In case it was you can run:
strace /boot/apps/mupen64/mupen64 | grep open

Even eisier option is to use:
objdump -x /boot/apps/mupen64/mupen64 | grep NEEDED

Alternatively, you can open mupen64 binary in DiskProbe and search for lib .

objdump -x /boot/apps/mupen64/mupen64

NEEDED libz.so 1.1.4
NEEDED libSDL.so
NEEDED libGL.so
NEEDED libdl.so
NEEDED libnet.so
NEEDED libroot.so

-I’m using BeOS 5 PE Max Edition v4b1
I have installed zlib 1.1.4 pkg
I have installed SDL 1.2.7
not sure about the others.

I wonder why there is a space here and not a period.
Make sure there is a lib (or symlink to a lib) with this exact name in /boot/apps/mupen64/lib folder.

Also libdl.so was not part of BeOS.

The following were though:

NEEDED libGL.so
NEEDED libnet.so
NEEDED libroot.so

I have zlib 1.1.4 pkg installed, SDL 1.2.7, openGL from https://www.be.wildman-productions.org/index.php?action=displaypage&pagename=appitem&appid=152,

Where do I get the others (libdl.so;libnet.so;libroot.so)?

libnet.so and libroot.so are part of BeOS.

And libdl is in libroot (eg. one can symlink libroot to libdl).

there is also a libdl software valet package. I know this as I installed it a while back under BeOS PPC. I think the one I have is only PPC… but to be honest it might just have symlinked libroot, I didn’t check.

I had installed opengl from be.wildman-productions.org and I don’t have libgl.so, libdl.so and libroot.so in /BeOS5/home/config/lib folder.

I have libz.so, libnet.so and libSDL.so and ‘SDL sub-libs’ like libSDL_mixer.so.

on Haiku, yes - on R5 which this user is still using there was a library (possibly by mmu_man) for it.

I stand corrected, thank You! It was ages ago i last seen BeOS.

Just checked on a clean install from BeOS R5, libnet, libroot and libGL are all default installed in /beos/system/lib/*

Then I’m not sure where does mupen64 0.4 locates zlib 1.1.4?

And how do I enable finalburnalpha code in finalburnsdl?

when you start an app runtime_loader looks for the libs in 3 places in this order:
./lib/
/boot/home/config/lib/
/boot/beos/system/lib/

Then there’s some problem between mupen64 0.4 and zlib 1.1.4 probably.

I don’t know how to fix that?

Where do I get this?