Problem installing apps

Hi everyone!. I’m new with Haiku, i install it as the only operating system on my Dell Latitude C600, is doing very well, but when I click on the files .sh to install them, it opens them as text, that error is that?. how i can install applications differently? …
Thanks, Axiz.

Your .sh shell scripts need to be marked as executable first. Right click, get info and allow them to be executed.

I am only a novice on such a subject, but I believe that a missing symbol error means that the required function can’t be found in a library, although it may be an important system library, so this may be a gcc thing. But first, see if you can update any libraries if they are mentioned in the error.

I am also having difficulty installing apps, but in my case most of the apps state they have a missing symbol in the error message.

@ axizhe: A workaround would be to drag and drop the files onto the terminal and pushing enter.

@ Paspie: Haiku gcc2 is compatible with BeOS apps (BeOS is also gcc2), but when you run BeOS gcc2 apps on Haiku gcc4 they do not work as they are not compatible. To make things easier there are also gcc2hybrid and gcc4hybrid, which as the name states are the hybridisation of the two. So gcc2hybrid means Haiku gcc2 with a gcc4 compatibly layer.

If you are running a nightly, you should be using gcc2hybrid, like alpha2 was. If you are running alpha2 (thus a gcc2hybrid), then you have to understand that the whole gcc4 thing is experimental, therefore Haiku breaks gcc4 compatibly every few months. So if you are are using alpha2 and say trying to use the very latest version of Web+, then the gcc4 webkit files used by Web+ are not compatible with the gcc4 compatibly layer in alpha2 any more.

This might sound very complicated, but if you only use gcc2hybrid, then you only run into the very last problem.

I tried to install a nightly earlier but the disc wouldn’t boot.

Two of the apps I tried required the gcc4 pack, I installed that and Libpak but ran into the same problem.

So basically, until this is resolved, Haiku exclusive apps will only run on the gcc4 version of it, am I right?

Tried installing Groovemaker, a BeOS application, and when I tried to open it nothing (apart from the flicker of some sort of dialog box) happened at all. It was listed in the Deskbar for about a second and then nothing.

In Burnitnow there seems to be no sh. scripts so I’m not sure how I’m going to fix that one. It is a gcc2 app but it still notifying me of a missing symbol.

Scismtracker I tried, but later found out that it would only work on gcc4 or gcc4hybrid, so I have solved that problem.

VLC worked.

Recently bug #6956 was fixed that prevented giving infos on e.g. missing libs. You may have a better chance now with a current revision to narrow down what’s wrong.

Regards,
Humdinger

thanks to all, solve problem, anyway, some scripts files runes directly from console, and others i should first set them to executable. But it worked!. Now i have to solve how to install drives and make them work… Or is there a way to active them?..
I installed the Ati Rage 128 pro driver from Haikuware but it does nothing (Video is actually pretty fast without it, i guess with it it will be a rocket!). Any idea how?..

Thanks again.

I’m not sure if the old BeOS ATI Rage driver is supported at all. In its Readme file, it says:

To install copy the two files in the indicated folder than reboot.

rage128 /boot/beos/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/bin/
rage128.accelerant /boot/beos/system/add-ons/accelerators/

Though it’s saver to use the user folders instead, because you can disable those from the boot-options screen (hold SHIFT when booting) by disabling user-addons. So, this would be better:

rage128:     ~/config/add-ons/kernel/drivers/bin/
rage128.accelerant:      ~config/add-ons/accelerators/

Not yet existing folders have to be created manually.
In any case, I’m not sure if using this driver (if it even works) will improve performance. AFAIK, the use of general double-buffering in the system doesn’t use accelerating functions of the hardware. In the first place, native drivers allow non-VESA resolutions/displays and may provide video overlay support. I think…

Regards,
Humdinger