Preparing a Latex environment in Haiku

In my journey on stopping doing my Haiku stuff outside Haiku itself, I’ve starting investigating on baking up a Latex box. As I’ve seen there are a couple of Tex editors in HD, so I started optimistic but I soon realized that:

• There is no pandoc, as I see there is no Haskell. Is this still valid? -> https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/1526
  • There is no latex distribution, although it seems there were some in the past. Somewhat broke in the middle?

Have I still rely on my mac for my authoring duties, then?

There still is a “merged” recipe for texlive in haikuports, but disabled due to it’s size, I’ve build them for 32bit and 64bit earlier but it takes a LONG time to finish (both packages about 2GB is size finished) :slight_smile:

@TheClue you’re not out of luck yet! Have you checked out this fine program: https://github.com/HaikuArchives/BeTeX :slightly_smiling_face:

There’s an x86_gcc2 package available on HaikuDepot, however for a x86_64 version, you may have to manually build the program yourself.

BeTex is just an editor/GUI for latex, you still need a latex distribution.

It’s a pity the packages are not kept in the repo. Yeah it’s big, but it’s also very popular and widely used.

Atm, some nice candidates for latex editors, but as @Munchausen said, you’d still need some cmd:latex to get the full experience …
If someone has a few GB’s to spare on a server I’m willing to share my packages for texlive, otherwise, as mentioned on haikuports, it woud be nice if someone could chop this up in smaller parts so you wouldn’t have to install the full texlive :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1 here

any idea on how to do that? perhaps i can help in some easy tasks?

Personally I always install texlive-full to avoid having any missing packages, but I guess there is a lot of stuff I don’t really need.

you could look at how some linuxes split their own texlive package i.e. https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?q=texlive

2 Likes

Ah, I see. It seems I have a lot to learn when it comes to Latex. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi!

Indeed, the first thing to do would be to revisit that giant texlive package and instead package each (useful) texlive package separately so people can install just the ones they use.

There is a port of GHC now, it’s a quite old version and missing parts of the ecosystem (the Cabal package manager and a lot of other tools). Porting an old version of Cabal and some dependencies would help porting a newer version of GHC, and after some upgrading we should get a version modern enough that we can port Pandoc.

I often use TeXLive LaTeX distribution. Its installation size on DVD is 3.7 GB as of 2019. So, it is not surprizing Haiku package is 2 GB in size. Usually TeXLive doesn’t keep unused code, so no space is ocuped with no reason.

I also usually install texlive-full. The problem is not to find a set of LaTeX packages suitable for somebody, but to find the set of packages suitable for requested kinds of documents and languages.

There are 2 common approaches to keep installation size sane.

1. As already mentioned, by providing texlive-minimal, …, texlive-full. These are mainly metapackages in linux (contain dependenses only, not any data per se).
  2. MikTeX approach is to provide some midsize package (~ 50 MB) that allows to use basic LaTeX. If at some point the compilation requires some not installed package, it provides the option to install it during compilation. So the user is ensured he only installs the packages he actually uses.

I always find that if I install anything minimal sooner or later someone sends me a document or a co-author adds something to a document that means I have to install a lot more.

Like what @alpopa already mentioned, MiKTeX uses its own GUI package manager to install what you need and does it on the fly, instead of bundling the entire 3.7 GB ecosystem of TeXLive or choosing texlive-full, texlive-minimal, texlive-default, etc. So that should be easier to install and package which sounds like a good alternative TeX environment for Haiku.

I think I have a MiKTeX recipe lying around somewhere that is is almost polished. I’ll probably see if it can be built reliably to be sent in to HaikuPorts.

1 Like

That sounds like a great solution!

I usually prefer a minimal tex and rely on tlmng to add needed packages at build time. I don’t know if this would be troublesome to do in Haiku due to read-only packagefs

No problem if TeX is able to look both in packaged and non-packaged directories.

I think texlive with metapackages would be fine, the problem is currently our distribution is just one huge 2GB package, which is annoying to handle. Having at least the minimal, default, and full packages I think would help a lot.

In my case I usually don’t need this many things, but then I don’t do very advanced LaTeX. I’d be happy with the minimal install and then adding packages as needed, and I’d probably be happy with the “default” set as well.

Worth looking into! Thanks!

Hi
I was trying to build texlive 2014 and current *latter is marked as does not build anyway(
and I cannot - even with all-dependencies haikuporter will break on actual compilation.

*** Does anyone have a step - by step instructions how to build this port?
*** Or a working package (I could put it up for download on our company’ s server for a while for others as well(

Haiku is amazing (apart from crashes, webkit browser and kernel panic sometimes), so I do want to use it for actual work . Without texlive - not possible.

Warning: building obsolete port, packages will be put in /boot/home/haikuports/haikuports/packages/.obsolete
Checking if any dependency-infos need to be updated …
updating dependency infos of texlive-2014
Looking for stale dependency-infos …
removing texlive-2021.DependencyInfo
removing texlive_devel-2021.DependencyInfo
removing texlive_source-2021.DependencyInfo

app-text::texlive-2014

requires “haiku” of package “texlive-2014” could not be resolved

I still have the previous packages for both 32bit and 64bit around, if you want them I could send them over so you could share perhaps? (mind you, both around 2GB).
Did manage to build the 2014 a while ago though, the recipe should still work.

yes sure,
I can create a download point at digital ocean (limited to 3 TB transfers).
Let me know how to get the package, then I wil lrepost here in a day or so the location.
(after test, that it is usable :slight_smile:)