Positively Critical: WebPositive and Haiku | Haiku Project

The Github pages after logging in work using the newer haikuwebkit dev snapshot on Haiku R1B3. Although,still some issues with the activity page and user profle button in top right header bar (used to log out). I can read messages, review notifications and bookmarks, and review everything on the other GIthub pages without issue.

So… some progess.on watching consecutive Youtube videos without issue and now logging into Github. Main issue is getting the Github activity main page dashboard displays working properly.

2 Likes

I am having real bad experience with Web+ on my i5 machine! Don’t tell me to post bug already done it… it is so frustrating when I try to learn about Haiku and cannot even read the documentation or download examples. The browser just goes bang! and debugger window appears. Then I have to kill the browser.
Very frustrating … I think a browser is a basic tool for Haiku. If that tool does not work Haiku doesn’t work.
I totally agree with the title of this thread:Positively Critical…

@PulkoMandy your work is outstanding and the web+ browser is really nice and easy to use. The stage of the development of Web+ is now in the area where every crash or bug brings smaller returns and needs just as much hardwork … that is my experience as engineering process designer:the last stages of development are just a pain in the bum… thanks for your work and I am sure your place in the Hall of Fame of Haiku and web browsers is assured!

3 Likes

Strange thing is I also have a very difficult experience on my laptop (also an i5 machine), but using Web+ on a Virtual Machine is actually OK with the same websites. Will try and check if I can reproduce that on a simple website.

1 Like

Can you report your bug so that @PulkoMandy can have a look at it? It is driving me a bit mad that it crashes on websites full of videos and giffed adverts!

Sure, I want to investigate first if I can simplify the type of pages producing the crash as simply creating a bug report stating “it crashed” will not be very useful, in particular if the dump log does not show anything obvious.
Will be done before by the end of the week (too much in my to-do list for now).

3 Likes

kind of a philosophical thing but I think it’s really valuable that haiku is putting in the effort to develop a new browser instead of just resorting to the massive, bloated ones everyone already uses. it’s an original aspect of the os, like mothra from plan9 but actually functional

10 Likes

Well, as of today using hrev55399 x86_64… I almost replaced Otter Browser with Web+.
Great work as the tide is finally changing for the better … :+1:

2 Likes

In fairness to our devs, and particularly Pulkomandy, “steadily” would be a better word than “finally”. There has been a steady stream of incremental improvements, punctuated with an occasional great leap forward, like fixing the memory leak a couple of years ago.

9 Likes

Almost there Web+ but I had to return to Otter and Endorphin to get some tasks completed. Web+ was running really really slow: 30-50sec to complete loading of eBay and Gumtree.

1 Like

Web+ is really getting better.
In Beta 3 it loads a lot faster and doesn’t hang as often as it did before.
Unfortunately,some very important features are still missing so that it’s currently not a option for me:

• Webfonts: I don’t need custom text fonts but the fact that FontAwesome icons or similar things are missing can make some webapps unusable.
  • Ad Blocker
  • Web inspector/Javascript console: As web developer,I need a way to find bugs in my code and debug it easily directly in the browser.

I don’t want to complain here,only point out that there’s still a long way to catch up with Otter Browser that supports all of that.

Web+ also doesn’t have tabs that can be reordered or detached/attached. Instead, I make new windows and treat them like tabs despite that apparently not being optimal for web browsing. I’ve considered making that into a suggestion on Gerrit, but IDK if it would be received well.

Only god knows how much i miss this feature.
Adblocks, probably, by blocking a lot of junk, speed up the loading of web pages.

1 Like

Just make a bug report as enhancement if not there already.

If ad blocker speed up loading webpages, it woul indeed important to have.

Everything to speed up Haiku I would welcome.
Haiku is already fast but…

Oh, ad blockers can make a huge difference especially with ad-heavy websites. They can easily make a website go from stuttery messes to completely fluid.

4 Likes

Some workarounds:

• Web+ does not support downloading web fonts, because app_server require fonts to come from files currently. However, if you install fontawesome (or other fonts) in your system fonts, they will be used on website that depend on them.
  • You can use a DNS blocking list as a limited (but already quite efficient) form of ad blocker. I have used https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts . Maybe we should try to package it in Haiku to make it easier to set up

Anyway, all known issues, but unfortunately not so easy to solve with the time I can dedicate to WebKit (which is not a lot at the moment).

9 Likes

NextDNS is also a good adblocker, it works at the DNS level. https://nextdns.io/

2 Likes

Been doing that for years, not seeing a single ad and having probably way fewer crashes from misbehaving ads:

3 Likes

Do we need a tutorial how to use Ad-Blocker or DNS blocking?
Can it be easily included in Haiku?
Or HaikuDepot?

1 Like