Pogger, an Atom/RSS thingo

I’ve been on-and-off working on a feed service, and I think it’s just about good enough to share now. It’s my first Haiku program, so there’re probably rough edges I haven’t noticed yet― if you give it a go, please report any problems. :stuck_out_tongue:

14 Likes

Wow, noice! Will definetely test it.

I use oldreader on my mobile devices to have some tought-food on the road. OldReader is hovewer better like mail, as there is a server and a subscription which keeps your feeds up to date and the various devices syncs with them, so i don’t have to scroll trough the same news on the different devices. I mark them read one one device, syncs to the server so the other devices won’t pull that news article.
Please consider to add support for this kind of workflow.
Thanks!

Great! I can retire fRiSS then, it seems :slight_smile:

Nice!
Cannot make it work though… :slight_smile:
I even tried to create a ~/feeds folder manually, no joy. In Terminal I just see:

Downloading feed from https://www.haiku-os.org/blog/index.xml…
Downloading feed from https://depot.haiku-os.org/__feed/pkg.atom?natlangcode=de&limit=25&types=CREATEDPKGVERSION,CREATEDUSERRATING…

… but no files apper in ~/feeds.

That’d be pretty convenient, I’ll have to check it out. If Pogger’s used to open entry files, I don’t see why it’d be hard to start marking entries and “read” and “unread.” API doesn’t look too bad either. `o`

Whoops, the feeds folder wasn’t automatically made― just pushed a fix for that, thanks.

When you add a feed for the first time, it sets the “last updated” date to today, to keep it from flooding you with a bunch of old posts. If you want to get old posts, you couldd spoof the “Feed:when” attribute of the feed (in ~/config/settings/Pogger/Subscriptions/). I’ve got a spoofed HaikuDepot file here, if you wanna test it.

Heh, the only thing i used rss/atom for in the past is for webcomics, could i have a replicant displaying the latest entry from one as a feature request? or is that out of scope?

That worked, thanks!
Nice app! I must say, though, that the app being a B_BACKGROUND_APP is a bit weird to handle. Once you’ve buried its window under some others, it’s hard to get back, as it’s not in Deskbar nor Twitcher… :slight_smile:
I suppose it’d be nicer to have a ‘feed_daemon’ with a replicant in the Deskbar and a regular Pogger app that only runs when called from the daemon would be nicer.

Very much +1. Pretty essential to have a query for everything “New” of “Feed x”.

It feels a bit out of scope imo― the way I see it, Pogger’s thing should be fetching and managing feeds, and entry management/viewing is for Tracker and co. A more general-purpose “folder-monitoring” replicant could be used here. (Not sure if one exists, though? I vaguely remember a mention of an old Tracker replicant, or something.)

Yea, I’ve found it pretty annoying too― a deskbar replicant’s necessary here, I should definitely add one.