Please make a new software for Haiku, not only a port

Pretty sure it is used in Ireland, Australia and NZ. Would be surprised if it wasn’t used in most other territories that are more influenced by British English than American.

International English is “everything except American English “, where British spelling and grammar is generally used. You know, most places except the US and to some extent Canada. I guess it is a bit of a tongue in cheek jibe at the American English speakers, mainly because they seem to believe their version of English is universal- and it is not at all.

Anyway, whatever the wording, the option should be available. Why not simply have a tooltip to avoid ambiguity? And to add this tooltip content in comment for translators so they are not left in the dark with a word with no context at all…

Well if you have to make things simple, and also more flexible, you can have an “every N days” or “every N weeks” setting. Then there is no need to spend hours deciding on which word to use :slight_smile:

Also, I will add that we can have country specific localizations on Pootle if needed, I think there are already an en_UK and an en_CA ones.

4 Likes

IIRC Calendar app localisation is made on Polyglot. There are a lot of languages available already, adding another shouldn’t be problem either.

2 Likes

I’ve checked the current version of Calender (build of the master branch from Haikuarchives). It has options for recurrence (weekly and yearly) in the GUI when adding a new appointment but they are greyed out. So I assume they are not implemented yet. I didn’t actually look at the code though.

So I’m sitting and thinking it would be useful to make a “power ball of haiku code” it is a snipped of modern code. I remember Xmas pack in 1999 where there were a lot of improvements and code extensions

WRONG! The best app to write is the app that you the developer wants to use because that will give you the most passion in creating it and following up on it lone term.

You can not write anything for other people if you don’t like what you are writing.

Even if you are not the “customer” for the app, you have to be happy with the way the user experience.

WINE should ONLY be used for games and things where the program is full screen and is based in the app. For anything else WINE should be a last resort and something to avoid at almost all costs. To do otherwise only delays what you set out to do which in this case in recreating/extending BeOS into Haiku with a totally unique user interface.

I’ve put in over 500 hours on over 50 different OSs (all versions/distros of one OS counts as one OS) over my 40 year career as a computer programmer working for large banks and government agencies.

Note: If not for the security for retirement, I found no value in working for government agencies other than that. Working for government agencies has to be the most sdrawkcab (backwards) way of thinking that I could ever have imagined. Even still, 51% of my time was working for banks.

I was one of the people that stumbled upon BeOS in 1994/1995 and I have two versions of BeOS that I bought back then. I very much want a BeOS and not yet another Linux/other OS inspired OS and applications and not yet another OS where I can run apps through WINE or were ported from another OS that look like that other OS. If I wanted that I never would have been interested in BeOS or Haiku.

Signed “grumpy old man” lol

3 Likes

While you’re at it, you need to also remove ffmpeg, freetype, GCC, fonts from other projects, Webkit and ported drivers. The OS can’t boot? Can’t display text or do anything useful? Well, at least everything is native.

What makes games and full screen applications special?

I did think to make an HVIF derived font glyph format but it’s not desperately needed. It’d be redundant to have regardless of SVG fonts being bulkier.

Hey SamuraiCrow, If you are interested in decreasing storage requirements for fonts perhaps you could work on this ticket? #18381 (Support variable fonts) – Haiku

It’d probably decrease our size of fonts we ship in our default image substantially :slight_smile:
(As an example the size of noto emoji is about half if we could support this)

(Also, we don’t support SVG fonts i think?)

1 Like

So tempting! :grinning: I think the first step is to be able to import a single SVG glyph into HVIF. Is that part of the Icon-o-Matic project?

1 Like

The ticket is unrelated to SVG or HVIF.

Because games has their own interface which wouldn’t follow the OS that it is running on.

Not all styles and weights can be implemented with a transformation of another style. However, my reply was based on your other observation that SVG fonts are unsupported.

Please read the ticket for details, that isn’t what this is.

Having reread this, let me try to summarize: some languages use brush strokes of different thicknesses called “weights” and OpenType defines them using separate parameters within the same font definition to avoid duplication. The issue is that Haiku doesn’t take advantage of these parameters but duplicates the fonts. Is that what this is about?

If so, an example of this in English is the degrees of boldfacedness of a font that’s available as: regular, demi-bold, bold, demi-black, demi-black bold, black and black bold. This means the same font can be reprsented in 7 various thicknesses without having to store each thickness as a separate font.

The thinkness in the fonts is just a name for a specifi float value with that support, you can pick any float value in between if you want.

In any case, if you need clarifitation please ask on the ticket and not here.

Yes we use this word frequently in New Zealand.

in addition to fortnight, at one time the word “sennight” (seven nights, or a week) was in use. You’ll find it is 18thC novels.

Americans do use “fortnight”, as Merriam Webster attests, but perhaps less often than the British.

The written vocabulary of well-educated Americans (take Gore Vidal for example) is closer to British English than some people might expect…

1 Like