Pasting from a parallel clipboard with middle-click

Personally, I never use the middle button/wheel click. I find it motorically inconvenient, but maybe my hands are just weird. Anyway, please skip the use of that wheel click.

It really depends on mouse design. On most, the mecanism is quite cheap resulting in a middle click indeed unpleasant. The fact that you don’t feel comfortable with it, is then leading to mistakes. Honestly, that is something I can live without.

I prefer a touchpad over a mouse. Much better against RSI I think, but I’m sure not everyone will agree. Anyway, my touchpad only comes with 2 buttons.

Me using CATIA (a CAD program) where the middle click is as important as the trigger for snipers i agree: most mouse uses really cheap solutions and we should not do anything important with the middle click. Do not expect precision from middle click, not just in timing, but also in position.

Personally, I don’t think it’s a bad idea, if implemented deep in the API so really everything resembling a text view has this feature.

• The middle mouse button isn’t used for anything, and apparently is deemed to be difficult to apply (I dunno about that…).
  • It’d be nice to have a second, “parallel” clipboard for quick throw-away copy&paste that won’t overwrite the “real” (ALT+C/V) clipboard. Terminal already does this with the right mouse button and I use and like it.
  • People that don’t like the idea, or using the middle mouse button will never encounter this feature.
4 Likes

I use it on Linux constantly and would love to see it on haiku. That said I think if it were implemented it should be done in a way that would allow applications to use middle click for something else if they prefer.

I also agree that saying that something should not be implemented simply because it is a feature that derives from unix software is crazy and essentially prejudiced. Unix desktops are mostly kind of duct taped together but that doesn’t mean that there are no good ideas there.

1 Like

Some says CDE is the *nix desktop. Do you agree? Is there any *nix desktop at all?

(For simple user any *nix desktop environment fels like windows3.1, a gui bolted on a system never meant for gui. Whoch part of it should Haiku consider as good example?)

Besides, selecting text in all programs should at least put the text into a special clipboard, otherwise this feature cannot be implemented at all.

CDE didn’t only run on Unix.

Hello,
I think the middle mouse button should not be presented.
That’s what the settings window is for.

@extrowerk
I’m using catia too. I which context do you use catia. My focus is in avation.

@lorglas : automotive

Default? No. Some predefined options like this and full mouse button configurability/scripting support? That would be great.

Thanks, @nephele
I knew only shift+del (CUT) and shift+ins (INSERT) from such edititing key combos … ctrl!+ins (COPY) was not known for me.

“All Unix desktops are a GUI stuck on top of a command line therefore all features of them are poorly implemented and unintuitive” is not a logical inference, its a prejudice. Mac os x is based on some features of a Unix desktop, for example, and is widely considered intuitive. And clearly in this instance the feature I am saying can be considered a good example is middle click paste. Your argument is not about the relative merits of the proposed feature, you are saying you don’t respect the origin and therefore it must be garbage. Can we stick to the topic please instead of turning it into a Unix bash?

1 Like

I agree, it is possible to provide consistent ecosystem if a company do the full stack. This is however not the standard but an exception in the *nix world.

I havent seen osx since long, can you please remind me if it implements insert on middle click on the native gui? Thanks!

There is no middle-click in macOS. It’s possible to configure whatever third-party mouse you’re using (with vendor software), but in the OS the nearest equivalents would be three finger tap, force-click and three/four finger swipes and pinches, which are configurable with OS-select functions as well. None of them do inserting though (which sounds horribly alien to me and totally counter-intuitive).

To be that guy that’ll point out: macOS is not based on Unix, it IS Unix.

I would be happy to have middle click paste, but I find the two separate clipboards actually quite confusing, as I never remember what I have in each, and also because you have to select text before you copy it, making the selection clip a lot less useful.

Maybe it makes sense if you think as middle click as a shortcut for drag and drop: you can perform the same operation by selecting something, dragging it and dropping it somewhere, or by selecting it, then using middle click to immediately “drop” it.

Drag and drop is perhaps easier to discover, but not always convenient to perform. On the other hand, middle click is very simple and efficient as a gesture, but maybe it’s less obvious what happens.

2 Likes

forms online tend not to have an undo

That’s a bug in the WebKit port which should be fixed, right? Because undo has always worked well in online forms for me.

I use middle-click paste all the time on Linux, however there are UX issues with it in certain programs. There have been numerous instances wherein it conflicts with another action, usually in creative and design applications. For example, trying to move the canvas in a design prototyping app with middle-click can also end up with pasting something in at the same time.

Additionally, users coming from Windows or macOS may be more familiar with middle-click for fast scrolling or move. Middle-click paste for them is annoying at best, infuriating at worst.

If middle-click paste will be implemented in Haiku, IMO it should be either on a per-app basis or a system whitelist/allowlist and not be the default. It is a power user feature that may be detrimental for anyone else.

2 Likes