Pasting from a parallel clipboard with middle-click

Where else except text fields does it make sense to insert text? Besides, autoscroll only happens if you drag the mouse with the middle button held down, and it doesn’t exist on Haiku anyway.

And on X, all clients (since about 2000 or so) implement the clipboard and primary selection correctly, and every major toolkit and program uses the correct keyboard shortcuts and mouse buttons for both. If you don’t believe me, try to name one where selecting text still puts stuff into the clipboard, or cutting text still puts stuff into the primary selection.

I find that incredibly unlikely, not having used X in the 2000s or anything close to it.

And even if it were the case it would not disprove anything I wrote above.

What do you mean by “that”? Everything you wrote above about X is wrong, and autoscroll can be implemented along with using the middle button to insert the contents of the primary selection, since it involves dragging. None of that is relevant either, since the middle button currently does nothing at all on Haiku, not overscroll nor selecting text.

Do you see the problem here?

No, this is incorrect, a single middle click without dragging starts autoscroll, not with dragging.

I already wrote some uses above that work now, how is that “nothing at all”?

Anyhow, you falled to adress any of my arguments in the previous posts so I see no reason to continue this discussion further.

No, this is incorrect, a single middle click without dragging starts autoscroll, not with dragging.

And in which direction will the scroll go?

I already wrote some uses above that work now, how is that “nothing at all”?

Which uses? What happens in StyledEdit if you press the middle button in some text?

Excuse me for being blunt, but there is no Unix “ideology” in inserting the contents of the primary selection with the middle mouse button. It is a convenient feature, which is not duct-taped together, or sketchy, and will not chain the hands of users or developers.

1 Like

They say: “Those who do not understand *nix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.”
But from my POV the *nix fans trying to convert everything to *nix while even *nix is invented and developed poorly, so i don’t understand their fixation.

I personally maintain the opinion the nix culture, ideologies and solutions are dangerously contagious and it should be stopped.

But whatever, you should probably start a vote about the mouse-click function.

3 Likes

Personally, I never use the middle button/wheel click. I find it motorically inconvenient, but maybe my hands are just weird. Anyway, please skip the use of that wheel click.

It really depends on mouse design. On most, the mecanism is quite cheap resulting in a middle click indeed unpleasant. The fact that you don’t feel comfortable with it, is then leading to mistakes. Honestly, that is something I can live without.

I prefer a touchpad over a mouse. Much better against RSI I think, but I’m sure not everyone will agree. Anyway, my touchpad only comes with 2 buttons.

Me using CATIA (a CAD program) where the middle click is as important as the trigger for snipers i agree: most mouse uses really cheap solutions and we should not do anything important with the middle click. Do not expect precision from middle click, not just in timing, but also in position.

Personally, I don’t think it’s a bad idea, if implemented deep in the API so really everything resembling a text view has this feature.

• The middle mouse button isn’t used for anything, and apparently is deemed to be difficult to apply (I dunno about that…).
  • It’d be nice to have a second, “parallel” clipboard for quick throw-away copy&paste that won’t overwrite the “real” (ALT+C/V) clipboard. Terminal already does this with the right mouse button and I use and like it.
  • People that don’t like the idea, or using the middle mouse button will never encounter this feature.
4 Likes

I use it on Linux constantly and would love to see it on haiku. That said I think if it were implemented it should be done in a way that would allow applications to use middle click for something else if they prefer.

I also agree that saying that something should not be implemented simply because it is a feature that derives from unix software is crazy and essentially prejudiced. Unix desktops are mostly kind of duct taped together but that doesn’t mean that there are no good ideas there.

1 Like

Some says CDE is the *nix desktop. Do you agree? Is there any *nix desktop at all?

(For simple user any *nix desktop environment fels like windows3.1, a gui bolted on a system never meant for gui. Whoch part of it should Haiku consider as good example?)

Besides, selecting text in all programs should at least put the text into a special clipboard, otherwise this feature cannot be implemented at all.

CDE didn’t only run on Unix.

Hello,
I think the middle mouse button should not be presented.
That’s what the settings window is for.

@extrowerk
I’m using catia too. I which context do you use catia. My focus is in avation.

@lorglas : automotive

Default? No. Some predefined options like this and full mouse button configurability/scripting support? That would be great.

Thanks, @nephele
I knew only shift+del (CUT) and shift+ins (INSERT) from such edititing key combos … ctrl!+ins (COPY) was not known for me.