Outside of Haiku, what are you doing?

I think there is one important thing missing @extrowerk :slight_smile:

No, it is just work in progress. There is no open bikeshop nearby nowadays.

Same thing here … no open bike shops or car shops open :frowning:

i have a lot spare bike parts here :slight_smile: ! And also sometimes a litte time to go bike trial :laughing: :wink: 67384868_905385076502710_7816102401874350978_n

7 Likes

My iron horse is waiting for spring. Spring got lost on the way to us.
photo_2020-04-22_09-47-42

13 Likes

Good day everyone,

These days have been busy… And out of Haiku I’ve been doing 3 things:

1- Fighting the Invasion of the Body Snatchers
IMG_20200503_122137461
A tough fight, as has to be done at night, and no matter how many you kill, next day there are even more.

2- Redo ARO in Godot game engine
Screenshot%20from%202020-05-06%2019-42-21
The first game I made on Linux, using Unity back in 2017. Now I’m porting it to Godot, and adding things I wasn’t able to add at that time.

3- Working on an Icon Theme
RoiredkuIconthemeWIP
Inspired by Haiku style. This is going slow, of course, not so much free time, and too many things to do.

Regards,
RR

6 Likes

You may be able to work on your Godot project in Haiku soon.:wink: I’m currently updating the Godot port, and @kenmays already has an updated Godot recipe waiting in a pull request over at haikuports for when my work is done.:+1:

2 Likes

Cool one more thing less on my TODO list, yeah!

I barely manage to just record the radio show I do for the local radio with friends every week…

I have so many urgent things to do for weeks I can’t commit to, that I got bored the other day and ported the Cocoa frontend of NetSurf to GNUstep.
Screenshot_20200505_023238

6 Likes

Well, the one from BeOClock is probably too simple :smile:

Good day @CodeforEvolution,

Good to read that!. To be honest, if it weren’t for Haiku I wouldn’t be using Godot nor LMMS. I found them in HaikuDepot, and while I can’t use them now on Haiku, is what I use, Godot as the game engine, and LMMS for audio.
And the reason to use GDScript with Godot instead of C# is because in Haiku there is no C# availability, therefore, what I learn when using Godot on Linux, can use when Godot is stable enough on Haiku.:wink: Also GDScript resembles Python. There you have it, the reasons for using Python and GDScript.:grin:

Regards,
RR

1 Like

Putting stuff away… had my photo I wanted to use for something fun…
HAIKU

2 Likes

Doing a lot of Android development with C# / Xamarin at the moment. This is for day job. Takes up almost all my free time as, deadlines. Ugh.

I have recently got back in to BeOS and Haiku after a long hiatus (I don’t think I was really active in the last 10 years or more, though I did install it a few times.) I have a few projects:

• Blinken lights using an Arduino. This is breadborded and half made up on perfboard, but day job work was too demanding and takes priority at the moment.
  • Trying to get the Arduino IDE to work on 32bit Haiku. I worked out with help from @3dEyes why it fails, but not got much further as compiling the offending .so hasn’t made much difference. Need to get the whole recipe to build I guess.
  • Found all the PowerPC Metrowerks object file format docs again, so will probably look at this again : https://github.com/memsom/mwobdec and possibly port it to C++ so I can run it on real hardware!
  • Also tempted to see if I can get this working: https://github.com/memsom/ratcowsoftopensource/tree/master/BeOS/strokeit_src

I guess also - get my old PowerPC hardware out of storage and see what still works!

6 Likes

Do it! Do it! Do it!

Sure there aren’t any tool alike yet? Maybe in Retro68?

Pen input? Hmm…
I look at that long ago, never did much…
There’s a T9 input method somewhere you may want to finish as well :smiley:

Wanna help on PPC port?

1 Like

@mmu_man the blinken light is going to happen… It’s more lack of time and pure procrastination stopping it happening earlier.

As for Retro68, maybe? This is doing something slightly different. It is unpacking the Metrowerks object files in to the parts of the file that represent various parts of the compiled code. The reason to do that is that it would be possible to then write an assembler using the reverse logic. The way BeOS PowerPC used the mwcc was a bit weird - the shared objects were shared libraries, but anything that is a .a file is actually an object file. So when you compile code that uses a library, it pulls in that object file and links it. Because MetroWerks is the key to all of this, you need to be able to do that I guess. But, actually - the project you linked does what Fred Fish did - converting xcoff to PEF. That is pretty cool. I know for a fact that you can compile files using the old MetroWerks compilers on Mac or Windows targeting MacOS PowerPC PEF and that they will run on BeOS PPC if you link in the BeOS PowerPC runtime libs, because I did that and had it running with CodeWarrior 9 under Windows. So that compiler could really work. And self hosting under BeOS PPC it would be amazing too.

I looked at getting the pen input working before, but I think the sticking point was that Haiku either didn’t implement or did’t support B_WILL_ACCEPT_FIRST_CLICK properly. Maybe that has changed? That flag was awesome and made it work. Otherwise the window you are writing in to loses focus. T9 sounds interesting too… that’s mainly a case of converting a string of numbers to a coherent dictionary word, so with a SQLite database I think one could probably do that pretty well now.

As for PowerPC port - I have a number of Old World power PC Macs. If we can support Old World, I’m definitely interested. I can’t see me buying anything newer really. I have a 9500 that if it still works boots BeOS R5.03, an old beige G3 (again, if it boots) and I have a working Wall street PowerBook (similar vintage to the G3.) Time wise, I can certainly try stuff out and I’d be interested in getting in to the Haiku development further.

2 Likes

B_WILL_ACCEPT_FIRST_CLICK behavior was fixed in hrev53660.

3 Likes

The other day I’ve finished the persistent storage component of my project without using a database (MySQL, SQLite etc…).

The data is stored hexadecimal, which makes life so much easier.

This is partly for my a game I’ve been developing for the past many years… Coded in TCL, portable to Haiku. And could be converted to C++ for native GUI interface in Haiku.

Haiku is my main target. I am so fed-up with linux and freebsd.

1 Like

Configuring my Thinkpad to work with Arca OS, I really don’t do much aside from messing with OSes for fun. I’d be toying around on my Suzuki GSF1200S but with the lockdown it’s not like I can go anywhere…

1 Like

I am doing some wikipedia work and waiting for old Thinkpad T400s to get home.
Will try installing RAM conservative versions of LINUX and BeOS/HaikuOS.

1 Like

Cleaned, repaired, teplaced some stuff.

9 Likes