Otter Browser is running much more smoothly

:c so sad news

1 Like

Hello. Did you tried disabling WebGL?
Check the about:config settings and look for EnableWebgl and set it to “no”.

I found that Otter is more prone to crash when that option is enabled. (I recently fill a bugreport at haikuports about that).

2 Likes

I can’t even get that far - it crashes immediately on opening… Is there a config file somewhere that I can tweak?

When you start Otter Browser, it tries to load some page in special?

You can try deleting the settings folder:
/boot/home/config/settings/Otter

That will regenerate the default settings. Try if after that, you at least can open Otter without crash.

2 Likes

You were on the money - the default file in the configs was nastily corrupt (can’t even delete it) - but I moved it into a quarantine and now the lovely Otter Browser works once again :slight_smile:

Care to explain what you meant here?

Maybe the cause is some filesystem corruption? Try to check the filesystem using (from Terminal), the command ‘checkfs’

location at which it will do “no harm to others”, ie interfere with Otter loading, scare small children, etc.

Yep - it was dirty dirty filesystem corruption - BFS wasn’t entirely sure what it was looking at :wink:

Thanks!! I was looking for the beku-flavoured ‘fsck’… checkfs vaporised the file in question (a desirable outcome).

i’ve had this happen multiple times as well.

1 Like

OTTER issues :-/

I am trying to use Otter 1.0.02 (on Walter hrev54946 Thinkpad X220 with i5-2520M 2,49GHz with 6GB RAM and as only running app) and I not able to read and use this forum well…

…anyone has better experience with similar or even older hardware?

The hardware should be fine, you can try if it works nicely in WebPositve.

(It’s a bit unclear to me whether this is a regression in otter however, it might be that the discourse update caused this)

For the forum I generally get a much better experience with recent versions of WebPositive than with Otter.

2 Likes

Good point.
Anyone knows if there is a way to work with forum without using JavaScript?

Afaik it should work fine without JS, just some quality of life features disabled.

I had also problems recently with forum rendering in Otter which pushed me to use WebPositive and surprised “positively” by its status :slight_smile: reported details in another thread. I am now using it more and more ! Forgot, 64bit nightly.

1 Like

YES - I agree and confirm the same!

How hard would it be to get PaleMoon ported to Haiku? I guess Gecko and XUL are the major hurdles?

Hard to say, but from my point of view the list from easiest to hardest is:
Fixing WebPositive < contacting mozilla and demanding a FF port < getting 2 people to work on PaleMoon for a year to get a possibly non-upstreamable port with every possible bug you can imagine, which will become unmaintainable as soon as one person abandons the project.

So probably doable.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t waste my time with Mozilla anyways. But having more than just WebKit based web browsers that function on Haiku seems important. I agree that getting Web+ to be the best web browser on Haiku is paramount.

1 Like