No network in Virtualbox for Mac

I have a MacMini, and under Virtualbox, was unable to get any network going for a Haiku VM.
After some messing around, I found it is possible to choose an Intel virtual NIC instead of the default PCnet NIC.
This time it worked, as you can see.

The moral: Default NIC will not get recognized.
Change your VM settings to an Intel NIC :slight_smile:

EDIT: Sorry, I didn’t see - in time - an almost identical thread about this :frowning:
Please move it, dear Admin.

This unfortunately effects everyone who uses Haiku and Virtualbox.

Hopefully Haiku will one day get its own OS category under Virtualbox, which will fix this problem.

[quote=richienyhus]This unfortunately effects everyone who uses Haiku and Virtualbox.

Hopefully Haiku will one day get its own OS category under Virtualbox, which will fix this problem.[/quote]

hopefully one day we will get virtualbox on haiku so we can send upstream bug tickets about Mac os not networking on haiku.

Dumpt.com

[quote=thatguy][quote=richienyhus]This unfortunately effects everyone who uses Haiku and Virtualbox.

Hopefully Haiku will one day get its own OS category under Virtualbox, which will fix this problem.[/quote]

hopefully one day we will get virtualbox on haiku so we can send upstream bug tickets about Mac os not networking on haiku.
[/quote]

That is the next bounty that should be tackled in my opinion.

However I think we should get the likes of Scott on board before raising the cash.

[quote=richienyhus][quote=thatguy][quote=richienyhus]This unfortunately effects everyone who uses Haiku and Virtualbox.

[/quote]

That is the next bounty that should be tackled in my opinion.

However I think we should get the likes of Scott on board before raising the cash.[/quote]

I don’t know. the curren bochs port is showing me that due to haiku’s kernel tunning and focus on low latency and user interactivity that it might not be a good fit for a VM program unless the VM can delegate 1 or more processors cores outside of the kernel.

Sort of a pass through if you will. windows 98 is unuseable on bochs " I don’t know how good or bad bochs is in this regard" but it is slow and laggy and it took 5 hours to install windows 98 in bochs.

If virtualbox will have similar performance, I think the effort into a WINE port would be a much better idea.

[quote=thatguy]

I don’t know. the curren bochs port is showing me that due to haiku’s kernel tunning and focus on low latency and user interactivity that it might not be a good fit for a VM program unless the VM can delegate 1 or more processors cores outside of the kernel.

Sort of a pass through if you will. windows 98 is unuseable on bochs " I don’t know how good or bad bochs is in this regard" but it is slow and laggy and it took 5 hours to install windows 98 in bochs.

If virtualbox will have similar performance, I think the effort into a WINE port would be a much better idea.[/quote]

I used bochs on windows to run Haiku back when Haiku did not have a GUI. After forgetting about Haiku for some time, I tried it out again using bochs. But bochs could not handle the GUI that was included in my time away from Haiku and the result was that it ran amazing slow.

I found Virtualbox soon after and was amazed at the difference.

But at the same time bochs is meant to be able to run os such as BeOS, OS/2, Windows 95/98 and Windows 3.0 and the likes etc.

[quote=thatguy]

If virtualbox will have similar performance, I think the effort into a WINE port would be a much better idea.[/quote]

Bochs is an emulator. It isn’t virtualising your CPU, it’s emulating an entirely different CPU. In fact Bochs emulates all the hardware in a PC. This allows Bochs on a PowerPC Mac to run x86 DOS games. But it obviously can’t deliver the same performance as virtualisation.

[quote=NoHaikuForMe][quote=thatguy]

Bochs is an emulator. It isn’t virtualising your CPU, it’s emulating an entirely different CPU. In fact Bochs emulates all the hardware in a PC. This allows Bochs on a PowerPC Mac to run x86 DOS games. But it obviously can’t deliver the same performance as virtualisation.[/quote]

that was my basic thought on it. I have run windowsxp inside of windows xp on virtual box and the performance is usually pretty good. I was a bit struck by bochs but it occured to me that it is essentially a glorified dos box.

Was a chore to get it running to.

That siad I have noticed a drop in throughput compared to ubuntu overall but it isn’t typically really drastic.