New website and BBS for BeOS/Haiku

I’ll try the twitter at another time, I remember I had issues with it before… I appreciate all the pointers :slight_smile: I also suspect twitter would do the same thing as when I had errors before it was complaining about not pulling something from their server just viewing the page.I think it is trying to verify the API keys are correct on those buttons. Not sure why they would need to do that and why linkedin doesn’t…

Ive hit the reply limit LOL. Here is what I trued to reply:
It should show up right away or within a few (5) minutes. Unless you have google as google doesnt like my sites LOL. I’m into all things retro hah! I activated your account manually…

1 Like

How long does it take for confirmation mails to arrive normally?
I’ve been waiting for mine for ten minutes or so,also looked in the spam folder.
But the BBS works great,I think mine was the first post ever :smiley:
I really love this retro stuff,it’s so fast and lightweight and reminds me of better times.

There is not that much of a problem with sign in woth fb/twotter buttons etc, as long as those are not loaded from those sites, if it is only loaded once a user clicks on them that is fine for instance, in that case the user chooses to use the service.

Why is it asking for my location information ? And attempting to place tracking cookies ??

That, and the low-effort screenshots with 5 year old Haiku builds make it rather suspicious.

2 Likes

@ MarisaG What is the main difference to the haiku site?

In the past we had various haiku (BeOS) user groups, which were all gradually closed because life is raging here in the forum.

In addition, we have a long-established knowledge base https://www.besly.de.

Please don’t get me wrong, I certainly have nothing against another haiku website. More websites can also increase awareness. But in the end, many projects have come and gone, mostly with the result that information was lost.

It has different community features.
For example there’s a part which is a bit like a social network.
I don’t use general-purpose social networks anymore,because it takes too much time and there’s much stuff I don’t care about.
This site gives me the opportunity to post stuff about Haiku,and read only content about Haiku.
I signed up yesterday shortly after this thread appeared and directly used it to post progress about my programming projects.
Another great thing it offers is the old-school BBS that you can reach using good old Telnet.
It offers forums,chats (private and rooms),private messages,games and much more,all without the unnecessary bloat of today’s internet,fast,retro and lightweight within the terminal.
And it offers a small webchat which is easy to find.
Sure,we have our Matrix channel and I use it very often,but you need to know it first.
The one this page has is always shown on the bottom right side and you can even post as a guest without account.
It adds a lot of community features for Haiku.
Another big advantage is that it mostly works in Otter Browser with only some small bugs.
This forum here shows a blank white page,so I have to use Linux and Firefox to write here,but I’m really not a fan of Linux anymore…

2 Likes

BitDefender on this machine has blocked your site and claims if has malware on it…

…so with the password in plaintext packets?

Yes.
—Some random text to fill the minimum length—

If you use putty or another ssh-compatible client you can connect to the bbs on port 2222…

It should ask you if you want to allow cookies. There is also a widget in the bottom left corner to change the cookie settings…

Does it say what is supposedly on it? Or point me to their site?

Cool! I will update the screenshots!
[edit] Ok slideshow updated…
[edit] Also updated community graphics

2 Likes

I filed a false positive report on bitdefender. Thank you for alerting me to this!

1 Like

Nope - the site is just blocked.

Edit: actually - I think it said something about cloud malware.

Ok. They said to allow 72 hours for them to clear it…

I already tried a SSH connection with the default port 22,which obviously didn’t work.
Is there any reason why you use the default port everyone tries to connect to for your private server access and a custom port for public access to the BBS?
It would be easier to find if you put the BBS to port 22.

1 Like

Good points. I’ll consider reversing them. I think the reason I did it that way is to keep unknowing people port scanning from noticing it. Similarly on a lot of retro BBS’s they use the telnet port at 6502 and others 8088/8086 etc…

3 Likes

I heard back and they removed the warning for my site…

5 Likes