New laptop (ALSO) for Haiku

New laptop for Haiku (and Windows):
CPU: AMD Ryzen or Intel ?
GPU: AMD Radeon or NVIDIA GeForce ?
Which is more likely to be supported in the future ?

NVidia has no drivers and no hope of getting any. So your choices are Radeon or Intel (you don’t need a powerful GPU for Haiku anyway).

CPUs it’s hard to tell, we have reboot problems with older AMD CPUs and we have systems misdetecting the CPU frequency and being very slow with current 11th generation Intel CPUs. Who knows what the next generation of machines will bring.

In general, buying a new laptop is probably not the best choice for Haiku if you don’t want to be writing drivers yourself. It is very likely that at least one thing will not be correctly supported yet.

5 Likes

12th gen Intel is probably unadvisable as most of them come with BIG.little architecture simar topbile SoCs. I have one and their threadmanagement sucks. Will take a year or longer for it to stabilize on Linux and Windows.

Thanks for the answers!
I decided to buy a laptop with the following components (CPU, GPU):
AMD Ryzen™ 9 5900HX 3.3 GHz (up to 4.6 GHz)
AMD Radeon™ RX 6700M graphics with 10 GB GDDR6 memory.
Let’s see what Haiku has to say about it!
Haiku 32bit+64bit is already running on real hardware here…

1 Like

Don’t forget the HD, RAM., and Internet access…

1 Like

I don’t have to ‘preconfigure’ the BIOS for Haiku anymore, do I?

What exactly do you mean by preconfiguring the BIOS?
Whenever I wanted to install Haiku,I simply selected the Haiku install media in the boot options and it just worked.
The only thing I always change is enabling Legacy boot if still supported by the device,because it’s easier to setup.

2 Likes

If you’re referring to SecureBoot, then yes.

1 Like

No, it’s not a new purchase FOR Haiku, because Haiku runs on real hardware here!
But Haiku should be included THIS NEW Laptop on real hardware if possible, albeit maybe in a few years if I live to see it.

I assumed legacy boot was no longer required for Haiku installation.
Although, maybe UEFI (EFI?) isn’t essential for Windows (incl. V11?) or even the best?
Then there’s TPM 2.0…

Thanks for the hint!
SecureBoot will definitely not be enabled or disabled!

You’re right,Legacy boot isn’t required for Haiku but I prefer it if it’s still supported because it’s much easier to setup.
If you use Legacy boot,the Haiku installer will automatically install the Haiku boot loader and you’ll have a working system.
If you use UEFI,you have to create a FAT32 boot partition by hand and copy the contents of the install medias FAT32 partition to it.

3 Likes

HD’s:
SSD 1 NVMe M.2 1GB
SSD 2 NVMe M.2 2GB
R.A.M:
2 x 32GB dual-channel SO-DIMM DDR4-3200
Network:
Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 (a/b/g/h/n = Wi-Fi 4/ac = Wi-Fi 5/ax = Wi-Fi 6), Bluetooth 5.2
audio:
Realtek ALC233 @ AMD K19.5 - Audio Processor - High Definition

Laptop is still on the way to me!
Components such as for network (WiFi), sound, etc. can be changed by the provider at any time. So wait and see.

Legacy, UEFI, EFI, what else is there?
SecureBoot, TPM2 for Windows 11, …?

I meant settings in the BIOS that are absolutely necessary to boot Haiku 64bit (+ Haiku 32bit ?) with it.
I.e. which settings should or even must be disabled and which are explicitly necessary.

SecureBoot exists purely to prevent booting any alternative operating system besides the one it came with so that one definitely needs disabling.

I think UEFI and EFI are the same thing. The U stands for Universal. Hopefully they get the bugs worked out of the bootloader for these systems. I have a spare SSD waiting for Beta 4 when it comes out. (I only use stable releases.)

2 Likes

Yesterday the laptop arrived, today I will set it up - as best I can.
Is this the correct order?:

1. power on
  2. into the BIOS
  3. disable SecureBoot
  4. ???
    continue with ?

Sounds about right. You’ll need to repartition if you’re going to dual boot.

1 Like
  1. SSD = 1GB (Default)
  2. SSD = 2GB (ordered parallel to the laptop,
    will only be installed after Win 10 > 11 Install)
    So can I first deal with the installation and configuration of Win 10 and then upgrade to Win 11?

My last Windows install was version 7. I don’t know about the new ones.

That’s not correct, SecureBoot (if implemented according to the spec) allows you to install any OS you want, but the OS must be signed with a cryptographic key. The goal is to prevent installation of malware (that wouldn’t be signed with a key you allow).

You can add your own keys and sign your own OS if you want.

It’s up to you to decide if you want to spend time messing with cryptographic keys and signing the Haiku bootloader, or if you are not so much worried about malware and you want to disable this.

• Prepare your installation media (write the latest nightly or beta to an USB drive)
  • Insert drive in the machine
  • See what happens and if you manage to boot it

If all runs well you can start considering an installation. In which case you have to decide if you want to use “legacy” mode or EFI mode (EFI needs a bit more manual steps during installation, so if legacy works, you can go with that)

• Partition your hard disk using DriveSetup. Use an intel partition table if you want to use BootManager (again for legacy mode), otherwise you can use GPT partition table which has less limitations (more than 4 partitions are allowed)
  • Create a BFS partition for your system, if using Intel partitioning, make sure to make it active (there is a checkbox when creating the partition)
  • Format the partition as BFS
  • Now you can run the Installer

That’s all for a legacy/non-EFI install.

1 Like