Nap and resume concept

I agree about automatic default state restoration. It should always be optional. Even the one that I’m aware of – MediaPlayer – usually annoys me by starting the last file I was playing automatically. That’s (almost) never my intention!

1 Like

if it’s OK to pretend to be a macos to have a chance of running on apple hardware, then, at least, there is no novelty with this. but if this discussion were serious and not a nonsense in the Torvalds’ spirit “ACPI is crap”, then the answer would be - no, just use standardized features. if they fail because of quirky deviations, then you fairly can tell to your users, this captivating story with a lot of “crap” word, showing the culprit OEM in all the glory. sleep states per se, and S3 (Suspend To RAM) and S4 (Hibernation) in particular, have nothing to do with this and are very useful inventions. Personally, I’ve been using S3 for years. Hibernation, or the mix of it and STR, S3+S4, are good too. but this is really a very pointless argument. because, on one hand, there is no need to prove the sleep states are useful - they are being used by hundred of millions of desktop users, on the other hand, ultimately, this functionality can come into Haiku, not as a result of such arguments, obviously interested developers should appear and make the job. if they did such a work and it were rejected, then it would be real dumb, but that’s fantasies, even despite the chorus of “meh” over here, noone in their sane mind would reject it.

That’s why this should be handled at application level only, avoiding a rude killswitch at OS level.

A good software designer would never bloat her app with unneded state resume function, if it is not useful or even pejorative of the overall UX. But in some circumstances or specific use cases it could be useful, so it could be safely added.

For example, as a personal experience and reprising your case, I would never use such functionality on Adobe Photoshop, but I would use sometimes in Adobe Illustrator and I would definitively use it in Adobe After Effects. Three apps which shares complexity, size and loading time among others, but three different use case scenarios.

Switching this on/off at OS level could led to an inconsistent UX imho.

Having this set at application level (maybe optional) is ok to me. Creating a standard protocol to do that, so Haiku could eventually ask to reopen apps at next boot would be the icy on the cake.

3 Likes