Name Suggestion for native Haiku Web Browser

Tranquility is a good name, IMO. But if you think ‘tranquility’ is too long for a name of the browser, and if you like some words from japanese, then ‘SIZU’ may be a good choice, as it’s meaning is very similar to ‘tranquility’ and it is short.

So I’m a bit late to this party but since traditional Haiku contains a reference to a season and one of the common references is momiji (Colored Leaves) and since the Haiku logo is also colored leaves, I suggest momiji as the browser name.

Actually quite like SerIku (or better: Seriku).

Regards,
Tony

In my opinion, Tranquility is still far from perfect, it’s not an easy word to remember, it’s not a long word, but hard to spell for the non-english territory people. Apple is being referred a lot in the Be / Haiku scene, they choose the most plain names one can think of for their applications. That’s because a LOT of people have to use, remember, and refer to them on forums etc. The “i” is their so called trademark, like iTunes, iMovie, but they use simple words like Mail too. If you see those names, at the first sight you instantly now what the purpose of the application is. Ironically, Safari (the web browser) requires some thinking, but safari can be linked to exploration (explorer), so after all it’s not that bad. But if I first look at the name Tranquility, the last thing I can think of is a web browser without knowing the purpose of the application. For a splinter cell like action game, it’s perfect. As for the best one I ran into this thread, I think Surfer is the ultimate winner. It’s plain as hell, easy to link the name and the function, and super easy to remember. And all kind of people from children to grandmas in all countries will understand it. Please, consider this again:)

If you don’t like Surfer, then please choose a short name, that if you give to like a 100 different people and tell them to write down what kind of application they think the name may cover, at least 50 of them respond “a web browser”. Actually, large companies (like Apple) care about this very much, so they actually invest in such studies before making a product. But I know, this is a non-profit organization, so there is no budget for this. Anyway, you can make it using a form and the publicity of some large e-zines like osnews, I’m sure they would help you with this, if you present them like the 5 best names from this thread. With a couple thousand answers, you’ll get a good oversight of the efficiency of the names.

Having thought of a few ideas, the ones I like most are ‘Synapse’ and ‘Compass’. The prior suggests nodes connecting to each other and hence the web, the latter implies navigation of the web. I think the prior is a more evocative, beautiful word, but the latter is easier to say and better suited for internationalisation.

Aside from that, the idea of space names is pretty good too. ‘Mir’ is pretty good, although people will always associate it with the former Russian space station, and ‘Cosmos’ is nice as well. I don’t mind ‘Tranquility’ or ‘Serenity’ either, the latter will remind many of the TV series though.

Personally, I think short one-or-two syllable names work best, and that names which consist of words combined, particularly in CamelCase, feel very dated. I think any name chosen should be forward looking and represent something elegant.

I think the Haiku community should do a brainstorm to figure out some sort of sensible, coherent ‘pattern’ for naming the different parts of the OS. I know this may seem premature, but one of the big problems that Linux has had is that they have terrible, non-obvious, ugly names for everything, especially with the K-prefix for KDE applications, and changing names after the fact is difficult.

If you don't like Surfer, then please choose a short name, that if you give to like a 100 different people and tell them to write down what kind of application they think the name may cover, at least 50 of them respond "a web browser"
"Internet Explorer" is the only browser name that indicates what it does to the average man in the street. 'Firefox', 'Safari', 'Chrome', 'Opera'.

While Surfer explains what it is, it feels quite dated and 90s (“surfer dude!”), I’m not sure “surf” is used much in the context of the web anymore, and doesn’t really match the soft ‘feather’ feeling that the Haiku brand invokes either.

It’s why I like ‘Compass’ and ‘Synapse’. They feel modern and also somewhat timeless, they invoke something quite ‘gentle’, and what they do is implied without being irksome.

How about Sonnet?

When I hear compass I think of Netscape for some reason.
Synapse…eh, doesn’t mean anything. Sonnet stays with the
poetic theme.

I think Hawaiʻi fits well with Haiku, this is probably the best name listed.

My own idea is Maui, it is one of the Hawaiian Islands, that in turn is named after the polynesian hero Māui. What funny is that I live on what is meant to Māui’s fishing-canoe and polynesian fishing-canoes are where we get surfboards from.

“Publicity” may sounds great in english, but in french it’s too close to “Publicité” which means advertisement. ( That’s also a mistake French people make when they begin to learn english. They replace advertisement by publicity. :slight_smile:
So I don’t know for you, but personally I wouldn’t like to use a browser which means advertisement in my language. ( And it would be a shame if I don’t eat my own dog-food. )

How about stealing “Senryu”.

My favorites:

Numbah 1) Surfboard
Numbah 2) Loom

Suggesting:

bLoom (from the suggestion “Loom”, also I like saying it)
sUbmerge (submerge U… in the wwwwater)

and secondly:
Sandpiper (energetic, cute)
Savannah (breezy, calm outdoor peace feeling,)
Bathysphere (diving apparatus that set a record of 3k feet)

Until then, may this post inspire.

Compass! What a perfect name. I already see the icon for it, wow. :slight_smile: Nice work brainstorming here:)

Owww…too close to Safari’s compass for my liking

My another suggestion:

LinkStream

i like the idea that invokes the idea of a journey like:

Pilgrim
NetTraveller

or named for an explorer such as:

Magellan (SP?) or Marco Polo

or to take the Be prefix, if there is going to be, as i think there should be, an app that integrates blogging tools, web browsing, chat/icq/irc clients, Voip and video chat,

we can call it BeConnected, HaiKonnected?

Sirius

Cirrus

Serena

Serene

Citrus

I like Browser very much! To be honest I tought about it also before, and I can’t imagine why didn’t someone came up with this from the big ones already. Maybe it’s already a registered trademark or maybe it’s just because it’s weird to refer to it (like Apple’s Mail application), when you mention it in a mail or on a forum it’s hard to differentiate the browser itself from that specific haiku application. (that’s why apple folks always refer to Mail as Mail.app which is kinda disappointing)
But anyways, in my opinion still these kind of names are best for naming a (hopefully becoming) popular application.

As much as I love to come up with names, I’d be okay with Browser. Outside of Haiku it could be referred to as the “Haiku Browser”. It doesn’t have to have a name unless its meant to be cross-platform. Granted, it will be an important part of Haiku, but still just another Haiku application.