My progress on real RISC-V hardware

MangoPi delivered.

23 Likes

Sweet. Whats diz?

1 Like

Armbian is a Linux distro for limited hardware. Haikuā€™s kernel is slimmer though.

1 Like

slimmer? Linux can run in variety of ressource constrained enviroments that Haiku canā€™t. not sure how it is slimmer as such

Itā€™s dependency hell with Linux, or so Iā€™ve heard. YMMV.

1 Like

A version of the ROMA RISC-V laptop SBC can be bought separately in 2023. Itā€™s designed as a SO-DIMM module - so you can stack them like RAM into a clusterboard. Much cheaper than the laptop too, from $85-145 each.

1 Like

Any news on Haiku booting on the MangoPi?

1 Like

Managed to start kernel and currently have troubles with virtual memory handling in kernel (virtual memory mapped by kernel triggers page fault).

10 Likes

Thanks for the update X512!

Itā€™s a shame its only got (up to) 1GB RAM, I would imagine the web browsers and other demanding apps arenā€™t going to be much fun to use with so little RAM, if they run at all. Have you ordered the VisionFive 2 as well? That sounds more promising.

1 Like

Not yet but I plan to. Amazon show that sells will start at February 14.

9 Likes

youā€™ve heard correctly, or configuration hell

Hopefully the work you are doing to get it to boot on the MangoPi will help towards getting it ported to the VisionFive.

Sounds like RISCV might be no better than ARM for code portability then? Do the boot processes of the MangoPi and the RV board you had already have much in common?

Explaining Computers early review of the VisionFive 2.

Unfortunately Chris was unable to get the NVME working on his pre-production board, which also has a 100 Mb NIC instead of 2x gigE and on top of that the eMMC and USB 3 speeds are pretty poor currently.

The good news is that Imagination promise an open source driver for the GPU used on this, the BXE-4-32. Iā€™m not aware of an ARM GPU manufacturer having produced any 3D capable open source drivers so that would be big news if/when that starts working. All the ARM GPU drivers have been REā€™d by third parties.

5 Likes

Itā€™s very encouraging that imagination is finally getting with the open source GPU programā€¦ I guess they were feeling the heat from radeon / Mali and adreno.

2 Likes

Ahoy !

Iā€™ve just thought I would share the same video here as I had recognized earlier that lately only RISC-V SBCsā€™ news and releases were shared/discussed in this thread
instead of any about the Haiku development progress.

I assume developers wants to have some hw or related sw support they expect from newer hardware.I dunno -
I do not have a plan to invest such hw, I just like to read about as something was solved by someone to run or somehow progressed.

Also I know RISC-V as platform is so brand new that mostly development does on it as however more project is on their way but not really commenrcialized actually - so generally not widely available for public to use for daily purposes or tests at least or at allā€¦

HW stuff and OSes are under development -
Itā€™s interesting ā€¦ it is a platform where Haiku is at the same line ā€¦ I mean it can be even among the first OSes which can enable to run apps/programs on it.

As itā€™s been said overseas : itā€™s AWESOME MAN :))

+++

1 Like

Jeff Geerling has got his VisionFive 2 and managed to get his Radeon HD 7470 working on it using a M.2 to PCIe x16 adapter after rebuilding the kernel.

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2023/risc-v-business-testing-starfives-visionfive-2-sbc

5 Likes

I think we might get a better idea of what the architecture can offer when the next SiFive development board arrives in the second half of this year. It will also be a significant product for Intel, a sort of tacit acknowledgement that they are in a post-x86 era.

As a monthly donator to Haiku I hope the Corporation will issue one to @X512 to keep up the excellent momentum in porting to this intriguing new ISA!

5 Likes

We can see how much it is. The HiFive Unmatched we bought was definitely a bit expensive and this may be more. It may be more productive for people to spend time on getting the VisionFive 2 running well with Haiku, or some of the other cheaper boards. Those are more affordable for everyone.

6 Likes

put up a poll, see if people are willing to chip in

:heavy_plus_sign:
VisionFive 2 more accessible for most peoples.