My progress on real RISC-V hardware

Impressive and expensive ;(

2 Likes

The Milk-V workstation price is not very expensive when compared to an Apple iPhone 15 Pro, Mac Studio, and AMD ThreadRipper workstations.

2 Likes

From what I can tell, the VisionFive 2 uses an open source GPU IP. Will Haiku actually be able to have 2D/3D hardware graphics rendering on this platform, once it’s at a stable, bootable build?

The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on a VisionFive 2 SBC on Amazon ($100) is a bootable, usable revision of Haiku that I can run on it.

1 Like

Looks like VisionFive 2 basically works, but not upstreamed yet, and no boot images or RISC-V haikuports, either. From the last monthly report I think upstream haiku merges are happening gradually, though.

So, then… the RISC V Haiku nightlies don’t boot/run on the VisionFive 2? Which RISC V board(s) do they boot/work on, currently?

There are still unsolved problem with USB 1 devices such as mouse or keyboard. Currently only single connected USB 1 device work properly so you can’t connect keyboard and USB mouse at the same time. USB 2 and 3 are fine.

What about Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse? One USB dongle controls them both, so they only take up one USB port.

I think those are composite devices and still might not work… since they show up as multiple devices.

HiFive Premier P550
a dev RISC-V board coming soon

2 Likes

Second edition: DC Roma laptop II available for preorder. It can run Debian or Ubuntu. Still a bit expensive for a not-yet-full-power CPU.

3 Likes

Also, new review from Chris Barnatt - an Octa Core Risc-V SBC : Banana PI BPI-F3

YT link - Exploring Computers : Banana Pi BPI-F3: Octa Core RISC-V SBC

The Vendor - SPACEMIT - offers a laptop and an SFF computer as well.
On their site - spacimit.com - you won’t find it if you choose English, but go back to Chinese (it is the same menu, 2nd item, the products ) to check out - seems it is brand new, as other items translated and available in English version too. At least it was that way on last Sunday (2024-06-16).

Framework has also announced a RISC-V mainboard with the JH7110 (manufactured by DC?)!

2 Likes

self censored

I don’t think it will take long for the Chinese Communist Party to seek independence from the West and Microsoft doesn’t appear too concerned about betraying the USA in the process. RISC-V seems to be the lifeline of the CCP just by its sheer neutrality. Microsoft’s loyalties favor being paid regardless. It’s a match made way south of Heaven! Core .NET? Bring it on!

Please stay on-topic. Who or what political faction takes advantage of the “sheer neutrality” of the open platform RISC-V is no concern on this forum.

We should care about Haiku on RISC-V. How’s that going, @X512? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Also off-topic is Microsoft support, which was the point I was trying to make to @nintendo1889 .

I apologize for ranting.

True, though nintendo1889’s veering off-topic seems to lack the political component that rubs enough people the wrong way to flag a post. At least Microsoft appears to be marginally more on topic for an OS related discussion than the CCP. :slight_smile:
Anyway, just wanted to nip further politicizing in the bud…

1 Like

Microsoft biggest customer is USA federal government

That aside, steady progress on riscv is great, what boards are actually working now ?? I’m still working on porting core code from EMC2 from linux.

1 Like