My progress on real RISC-V hardware

It would of course be nice to provide equipment to developers who need it, when they need it. However, funds are limited, and the Inc’s primary goal is to ensure that there is enough money to pay Waddlesplash. This may require difficult decisions to be made, and if some people don’t get what they want, it’s not a reflection on them or their project, it’s simply economic reality.
What we really need is more money!

1 Like

I’d chip in a few $$ to get him a dev board, outside of the inc, if anyone else is interested, we can all do so

1 Like

I’m in! Maybe a Paypal thing, something else?

we should wait for p550 horse creek, seriously, that’s going to be a board with performance approaching x86 i suspect

3 Likes

This seems to be very VERY basic toy:

(no display support)

5 Likes

Got my VisionFive 2.

30 Likes

Where did you buy the chassis?

6 Likes

how’s the performance ???

relative to say a amd athalon x2 from 2010 ? comparatively speaking.

Yes let’s see glteapot :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I also have a VisionFive 2 board I got recently and could help test Haiku out on. Mine is a 4GB model.

3 Likes

I was rather thinking of the nice, little box you got to it…

Case: https://www.youyeetoo.com/products/acrylic-case-for-visionfive2.

It is actually transparent, but I not yet removed cover.

4 Likes

Thank You, will be ordered :smile:

As lately there were some additional Risc-V HW news posted here
– instead of news about progress of Haiku porting / development to this platform –
I thought I might not making trouble if I put here a link

about a review of an SBC with Risc-V processor, as some of the people here around would buy it to do some development or play with it … Haiku, Linux … does not matter.

Let us see it - I am doin’ so now !..

EDIT : watched the video - for Haiku - as it is single core SBC - can be useful until SMP not available / not implemented for Risc-V kernel. Multicore and multithreaded too desirable to have it after that these days.

1 Like

I ordered a Vision Five 2 from Ali. I hope it will come

1 Like

We’re getting close to the JLG’s Bebox vision of multiple, inexpensive CPUs outperforming the latest, most expensive cpu available. The jokes like below won’t be needed in the future!

7 Likes

Great movie!

To this day, most applications heavily rely on single thread performance. I doubt that this will change anytime soon.

1 Like

having spent some time writing rtos machine control code, this is definitely a problem. it’s a problem at the os level too. the API in most cases sucks for concurrency.

with Linux cnc if you call a while loop or a sleep etc the machine stops cold. why the hell can’t those be separately threaded subroutines with a time stamp ?? bizzarr indeed

2 Likes