My progress in porting Wine

The incorrect stride is very strange. Input not working is less strange, some applications are very finicky about how they deal with Xlib events, and I know that logic isn’t precisely correct just yet.

6 Likes

Mouse input actually works if move window to left top screen corner. It seems attempt to translate screen-window coordinates and fail.

4 Likes

Some Wine applications with Xlibe:

screenshot109

63 Likes

You can execute 32bit wine programs? or only x64?

4 Likes

Dudes. Whats this? Microsoft Windows 2030? Looks awesome.

3 Likes

I am a long, long, long time user of corel draw 5 and paintshop 5, sounds i can use them with haiku in the future. Thanks for you work @x512

4 Likes

Wow,that integrates much better into the UI than I expected it to.
No Windows 98 controllook anymore :tada:
I initially didn’t want to use any Windows applications,but maybe that will integrate better than GTK with their CSD nonsense.
How is the performance?
Is it significantly worse than ported Linux apps?

8 Likes

As I expected, Xlibe is proving itself very useful already.

5 Likes

That was also my impression, it actually looks suprisingly elegant, the design may even inspire next gen Windows 12. Scary …

7 Likes

64 bit only currently. Maybe it will be possible to run 32 bit applications with WoW.

10 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, macOS dropped support for 32-bit applications long before jumping to ARM. Perhaps looking into how Wine handled this issue on macOS (x64) might be helpful?

1 Like

I believe that the solution to that would be Hangover: https://github.com/AndreRH/hangover

Edit: Best wishes to everyone, I have a feeling that this will be a very satisfying year for us.

What a timely comment. Happy New Year! :tada:

7 Likes

Hangover emulates a CPU and would be way overkill for this use-case (it might be a solution for Wine on Haiku RISC-V though). I didn’t know that the macOS x64 port of Wine used it.

3 Likes

The alternative would be to include an entire set of 32-bit libraries on 64-bit Haiku and make Haiku capable of utilizing that, which would not be preferable (I think).

Implementing Hangover will also allow running x86 Windows software on RISC-V (and ARM eventually).

I think Hangover is the best way way to go.

2 Likes

WoW64 Wine on amd64 macos still uses the 32 bit mode of the processor

This is beeing worked on sometimes already, it would also be needed for beos compat on amd64.
Personally I don’t see much of a point to use a port that uses cpu emulation, one could just use qemu the (and wine without wine32 is pretty useless in practise)

4 Likes

What are the security implications of this by the way? Doesn’t it mean that Windows *ware could compromise user data?

1 Like

Yeah, Windows applications can compromise user data. Just like Haiku applications can.

2 Likes

In theory encrypting ramsonware can encrypt your home directory (it is mapped to user directory in Wine).

7 Likes

Isn’t it possible to have sandboxing in Wine?