My Haiku RISC-V port progress

Bad a$$ X512!

Makes sense. Awesome progress, of course. I guess the next thing to investigate is why some of the files have Jan 1, 1970 as the date. Maybe you already know? Maybe it is just the system clock starts there?

It is because TinyEMU have no calendar clock, only monotonic timer is available. But it can be easily added for example as additional HTIF function. TinyEMU is already customized for this port so probably there are no problem to customize it more.

Also note that Deskbar clock time is also wrong.

1 Like

Fixed. But already created files still has wrong date. Network time synchronization work.

screenshot74

18 Likes

You may want to review MTR (traceroute tool, in HaikuPorts)… :wink:

Still not working for riscv64.

Do you have an image we can download and a patch for Tinyemu to use under linux?

Our of curiosity, what’s the level of effort and steps to get from TinyEMU to the SiFive board?

4 Likes

Boot loader and kernel should use SBI interface instead of raw machine mode. I checked that OpenSBI firmware work on TinyEMU so it can be easily tested on emulator. U-Boot or UEFI probably should be used for disk access.

PCI driver probably need to be reworked/rewritten because current driver depends on x86 hardware details. Existing Haiku USB drivers likely can be reused because RISC-V board use PCI USB 3 controller. PCIe Radeon video driver also likely can be reused, but some troubles can be with boot graphics.

Some FDT (table that describe SoC and motherboard hardware) and interrupt handling improvements will be needed.

SMP (multi-core support) can be optionally implemented (currently there are no SMP support), but system will run even on single core.

In summary I don’t think that running Haiku on real RISC-V hardware will be so difficult.

HiFive Unmatched diagram:

20 Likes

so, what you are saying, is that you need a physical motherboard and cpu kit etc ???

Yes. But currently Sifive Unmatched board seems to be not ready for shipment. I am afraid to buy board that is not yet produced.

https://barebox.org/

Proposed date: Orders placed now ship Jun 18, 2021.
Does Haiku Inc. help in this case for you (i.e. getting dev boards)?

6 Likes

This is a good idea! It would be cool if Haiku, Inc. would be able to provide this board for development purposes.

3 Likes

I still have the unmatched on order. It should be shipping “any day now”

3 Likes

Mouser shows 140 boards in stock (for mouser Norway, but I think they show the globally available stock), I just ordered one.

2 Likes

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Intel-Interested-In-SiFive

1 Like

ooo, that would be nice…

annnd my SiFive HiFive Unmatched will arrive TODAY :firecracker:

8 Likes

Will you see if the RISC-V port can be made to run on it or is there too much to do with the next Beta release still?