My Haiku RISC-V port progress

i get the feeling when you are done, many bugs from hardcoded structures will be fixed.

again, your work is inspiring and appreciated

5 Likes

IMO the RISC-V port status is misleading (everything is green), I would amend at least “Under development in a developer branch”, so that no one expects something buildable in the master branch.

2 Likes

Maybe. Someone can add this note.

You can checkout to hrev55144, apply patchset and compile operational RISC-V system.

8 Likes

I’ll edit that page on the website.

I made some video showing development and testing process:

23 Likes

Just a quick status update. After the relation chain in http://review.haiku-os.org/c/haiku/+/4435 is reviewed and merged, stock nightly images should boot on the SiFive Unmatched!

There will be bugs to hammer out… and SMP still needs completed, but this represents the first non-x86 architecture port which fully boots to a desktop!!!

Nice work @X512 !!!

48 Likes

Nice work to you too, and thanks for reviewing/cleaning/merging the patches and bringing it up to what it is now.

13 Likes

This is absolutely wonderful work.
Thank you to everyone involved at Haiku.
It was great to see X512’s fruits of labour on YouTube!!

Back in the day I ran BeOS on a twin Celeron Abit (I believe) motherboard and was thrilled by the fun factor and performance of BeOS. Haiku btw is now on my laptop.

Like others on this thread I to am waiting for the HighFive motherboard to arrive. The risk-v ISA is the future. BeOS should have been an overwhelming success all those years ago but failed on the x86 platform, Haiku developers can now take this rewritten OS to new levels, especially on risk-v architecture. The publicity for Haiku will be fantastic.

Kudos to you all

11 Likes

This is pretty cool! I would like to see the teapot spin :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fixed running latest Haiku revision for riscv64 by downgrading to icu-57.2.2. Current haikuports.cross icu-67 riscv64 build seems broken.

screenshot230

31 Likes

icu67 is broken for all working architectures according to https://github.com/haikuports/haikuports/blob/master/dev-libs/icu/icu67-67.1.recipe

probably icu66 should be used for now (in both bootstrap and non-bootstrap).

4 Likes

Yet another RISC-V virtual machine that theoretically can be used with Haiku.

GitHub - LekKit/RVVM: The RISC-V Virtual Machine :

RVVM - The RISC-V Virtual Machine

RISC-V CPU & System software implementation written in С

TODO

• Test FreeBSD, Haiku (FreeBSD generic kernel boots but i have no idea how to mount rootfs, too lazy to look at Haiku)
5 Likes

haiku_loader.riscv

17 Likes

Implemented simple ATA PIO mode driver in haiku_loader.riscv and loading progressed a bit in RVVM:

Welcome to kernel debugger output!
Haiku revision: hrev55942+45+dirty, debug level: 2
arch_int_init()
  CPU 0:
    hartId: 0
    plicContext: 0
reserve_io_interrupt_vectors: reserved 128 vectors starting from 0
PANIC: page fault with interrupts disabled
Welcome to Kernel Debugging Land...
Thread 0 "" running on CPU 0
Stack:
FP: 0xffffffc00062c970
FP: 0xffffffc00062c990, PC: 0xffffffc00015338a kdebug>
20 Likes

This would be a nice Haiku machine:

4 Likes

They look super cool, but someone needs to tell the devterm guys about hinges. And ergonomics.

1 Like

I didn’t realise there was a market for RISC-V devkits with thermal printers :rofl:

Instagram/Kickstarter driven development, I guess? If it looks cool, people will buy it. Doesn’t matter if it’s usable for anything.

(more seriously, it’s based on late 80s pocket computers like the Amstrad NC100, Z88 or the TRS-80 equivalent of that. But these aren’t really convenient machines to use…).

1 Like

Why it use a fan?

Maybe to cool the ARM64 processor. Not all models use RISC-V: