Multiuserland in Haiku

I’m a newbie with a single question for now.
Can someone explain me - why on Microkernel OS’s we can’t get multiuserland environment ?
How i’m supposed to share my computer with others ?
How i’m supposed to guarantee some sort of security if everything inside HAIKU
runs already as root ???

Thanks.

1 Like

Welcome to the community. Those are actually 3 questions :wink:

As far as I know this has nothing to do with microkernel vs. monolithic kernel. Haiku does have prerequisites for multiuser already, though it isn’t reflected in the user interface. You can add users on the commandline, eg. for the sshd service.

You can share it but you can`t isolate your data from the others. Unless you encrypt them in some kind of way.

You aren’t. If you have some computing tasks to do that involve any kind of security requirements, don’t use Haiku for it at the moment.

That all might sound a bit negative but for everything that’s not security sensitive Haiku is a quite neat and interesting platform, with a rather small but very helpful community. Hope you give it a try!

9 Likes

It’s fair to say that there are not many hackers who have even heard of Haiku, let alone are actively trying to hack it.
Please bear in mind that this is Beta software. Nobody is suggesting that you use it to keep important and deadly secret files on it.
Just buy an old laptop, install Haiku, and see what the future of the desktop could look like. And run like.

2 Likes

there’s Linux, for those needs

2 Likes

…or seL4 microkernel which is useful within the Genode framework under SculptOS.

Haiku doesnt have microkernel.

3 Likes

I hate linux,linux is gross,Haiku is sleek - fast and way better organized.
Of course - Haiku is in the beta stage and i also heard before that you can’t have a multiuserland on it,so for this reason i made this post to clarify this particular situation for my self.

P.S i’m already willing to leave linux for Haiku,the only problems are of course the lack of a multiuserland and the lack of native disk partition encryption.

what if I told you, part of the reason linux is a mess, is because it is a timesharing multi user mode mainframe operating system.

You are absolutely right, Tarasenko.

Haiku runs fast even on very old hardware. Just give everybody their very own old laptop!

And keep yours locked up.

You’re right. That is part of the reason. But there are other reasons, too.

I’m very confused.
You mean - that on Haiku by setting a password on the login screen,i can lock my data from being viewed by strangers side-loading Haiku from their USB flesh ?

Ok let’s lock the BIOS to prevent sideloading of another Haiku from usb flash drive

• Then isn’t this useless too since strangers (the glowie agents) could manually eject my storage to view it’s content ???

Actually, it seems he meant to say that , for now, the only way to keep your data secure would be to physically lock the computer in a box, wardrobe, whatever.

As stated, Haiku doesn´t lock/encrypt data yet. What you seem to want is better served by OSses like Windows or Linux, for now.

At this point,ill stay on linux with hope that one day Haiku will gain it’s basic security features :slight_smile:

if you truly want a locked down computer, whole disc encryption

1 Like

By “locked up” I meant precisely that. I was assuming that you might have curious young children in the house.
And I repeat, Haiku is Beta software. It runs very well, but it currently lacks some of the features you would expect to see in a finished product.

1 Like

BeOS (Haiku is an open source rewrite from scratch of BeOS) was created back in 1993/94 and released around 1994/95. At the time the internet was just starting to become a “thing” and we didn’t have to worry about viruses or people remote hacking our computers.

BeOS was also created as a business operating system for companies that did a lot of video editing and needed something fast that had true multi-tasking so that you could work on multiple things at the same time without it crashing (like DOS/Windows did a LOT).

Note that DOS was not multi-user either and Windows 3.1 was a graphic user shell on top of DOS unlike Windows NT which had DOS built into it but it was no longer DOS.

It was in this world that BeOS was created. And it was a miracle of its time and it scared the HELL out of Microsoft because they could see how disrupting this OS could have been if they didn’t stop Be (the company that created BeOS) from being installing on computers from factories (like HP or DELL, etc).

I was going to suggest having full/whole disk encryption but SCollins beat me to it.

Note that there were plans to make BeOS into a mult-user OS but it went bankrupt before they ever got that far.

A guy name Michael Phipps liked BeOS so much and was so upset that the company went bankrupt that he decided to do like Linus Torvolds who created Linux and make an open source version of BeOS which became Haiku.

Note that in 1995 there was a video made by Be Inc (makers of BeOS). Take look at BeOS DEMO VIDEO - YouTube for the official introduction of BeOS by the marking person at Be Inc. People liked BeOS so much that someone wrote a theme song for it. Which you hear in the video.

I bought three version of BeOS back in the mid 1990s and still have the boxes and disks which I will part with over my dead body (don’t get any ideas!). It was the first and ONLY OS that I truly LOVED to use. OS/2 is second. MacOS is third. Linux maybe 4th or maybe 8th , 4th through 8th are close and Windows is some where down around 480 something. Hate it!

4 Likes

Uh… virusses had been spreading on floppy disks for like 10 years before that…

Also, this is not related to multiuser support. People assume (because UNIX works that way) that the two goes together. But, not really. There are ways to protect a single-user system from virusses and remote hacking (for example look at Android). And there are ways to do a multi user system without any security (for example look at windows 98).

5 Likes

the only way to have a truly safe computer, buy an asteroid, install deathstar defenses, don’t forget get to shield the reactor venting, jedi mind control palpatine to be your guard dog, and don’t connect to the internet.and your data still isn’t truly “safe” .

3 Likes

Probably worth mentioning that disk encryption is a thing on haiku, but it has not been merged and does not work on the boot drive, as far as I remember. GitHub - axeld/driveencryption: DriveEncryption for Haiku

2 Likes

Yes, the OP might indeed look at Genode as a “safe” system which has some following amongst the Haiku community.

1 Like